1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did these Blockbuster guys know?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pu1po, Mar 4, 2005.

1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am finding it hard to believe my eyes when I read some of these posts. For the love of God!!

2. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Pieman, that would be a sterno folding stove.

3. madgreek

madgreek Guest

There is no way blockbuster or netflix knows you are copying. They don't care they just want your 20 bucks a month. In fact again this is why they exist is for copiers. They don't care that much. And ya know what, people say copying is illegal. But I think if you are using blockbuster or netflix you are paying good money every month and giving someone a job and supporting the movie industry. Think about it millions of people giving 20 each every month counts for something. ...on another note compusa is selling 100 dvd r+ for 20.00!!!! Good quality they work in all my dvd players...hhehehe

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I think pu1po just started this thread to see how far it would go.. At least I hope so? If not pu1po you probably confessed right there and told them you wouldn't do it any more hu? You can't really be that dumb can you? If you are then I have a piece of land in Arizona for sale that over looks the ocean. :)

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

6. pu1po

pu1po Member

Well bbmayo, actually it wasn't to see how far it would go, but the thing is the guy actually got me there thinking for a minute, you see (I'm in Mexico) in this country you are guilty until proving innocent, so having a guy saying out loud "hey looks like you have been burning many of your rentals" is definitely not a good thing. Now just to follow up, I returned the next day to the store, but this time I returned at a time I new the same guy was not going to be around, I asked the person who was helping me: "is there a comment on my account that says I'm returning the movies in bad shape?" she made a pause then she told me: "yes, it says here you are returning some movies SCRATCHED", then I told her: "does it say BURNED or SCRATCHED?", she said "no, not burned, scratched". (which is anyway bad, 'cause I take good care of the DVDs no matter where they came from, besides how do they know it was me? they definitely don't check the DVDs when they are going out)
    So now I'm going to return when the ignorant guy is around and I'm going to ask him to stop making those stupid comments.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I do believe I would have to take my buisness elsewhere!! Sounds like he was just saying that to see what your reaction would be, and it sounds like you probably increminated yourself a little. You should just go to the Manager and demand an apology and you don't even know what the guy is talking about. Play the dumb card. What? a "burned movie" it was never near my stove or any other heat producing device so I have no idea how he could be accusing me of burning a movie? Tell them how you were publicly humiliated and you didn't appreciate it at all, and that you are going to talk to a lawer unless something is done about it!! Who knows maybe you will get free rentals for life, and the jerk off will be fired! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Hey what I want to know is if Hollywood and Sony in particular hates piracy why does Sony make a bunch of DVD burners and lots of media for burning? Can they have their cake and eat it too? Such hypocrates!

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-bbmayo-
    Ill buy it...how much? Since I live in AZ I think I will benefit from it.

10. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Again!!! THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN KNOW. THEY CAN't track it. Millions of people copy dvd's now. Honestly...the movie industries should care less. You have to get the movie from somewhere to copy it. So if unless you are getting the disks illegally to copy..you have to get the disk somewhere so you are paying someone like blockbuster or netflix. You pay them then they pay the studios for the movies. Economics 101. Believe me...if anything its making money.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

$25,000 an acre I have 10 acres.. LOL

12. madgreek

madgreek Guest

I did not mean to go crazy but come on now guys. Look at the crapy encryptions these people put out. They are not even trying to stop you from backing up a dvd. What they are trying to stop is some guy in thailand with 10000 computers copying millions of them and selling them for 3.00 each on the street somewhere. That is the real economics of it.

13. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Hollywood still thinks people buy CD's from the record store. I dont think Hollywood has a clue, much less to start selling music via the internet and downloads. Its that old school mentality and computers are giant calculators nothing more. By the time they figure out how to make money using computers and the internet everyone will be getting their movies from some other location. I remember when they screamed bloody murder when sony invented the betamax. They said piracy would be out of control. A couple of years later they figured out they made more money from home movie sales then the box office. What they need is someone under the age of 60 working for the RIAA then something could get done between golf teeoffs and secretary massages. Im ready and willing to take over! Then finally we will see some movies that people have actually seen get some awards and no more Jethro Tull grammy awards (for best hard rock band) yeah I have a memory!

14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Actually, INTERPOL runs the afterdawn website. They are constantly on the lookout for folks like pu1po posting messages about illegally copying rented DVD's. They have your IP address, dude! Better watch your back!!

They also put a program on your computer when you signed on to post your message. This program tracks your user data. It knows which burning program you used and which disks you copied. The .log file is there. Just look in your "application data" file for DVD shrink if you use it. There's a list of encryption keys kept there. These are then downloaded every time you log onto the internet.

GET OUT OF TOWN QUICK!!!

I would tell you to head for the Mexican border, but you're already there. Better catch the next flight to Canada!!! Hurry. They're watching!! And they're coming for you!!!!

For the love of God....GET OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

15. killalot

killalot Active member

Look the guy at blockbuster is just a prick if you give a prick enough attention it will always rise to the occasion, well mine does anyway, do what bbmayo said play the wild card you might can some free dvd rentals and lets close this post and talk about something else............

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Are you getting that eerie feeling???????

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

18. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

Hey sadsac dude, I dont care one bit. I have been threatened by the best (microsoft) and all these companies have no balls. Even though I dont copy movies from blockbuster I really dont care if the RIAA sues me because im going to get paid. Im going to be the first person to fight back in court. Hell I got nothing better to do all day long. The first person who fights is going to be rich off all the endorements and book deals. I wouldnt mind going on letterman and leno. Im good looking!

19. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Name of book:
    "Take it like a man"

Also from this author:
    "If these prison walls could talk"
    "Punk'd - prison style!"
    "Jail House Hot-Dog Eating Champ - They don't call me Mega Byte for nothin'"

20. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

First...tell the Blockbuster guy to get bent!

Second...it is SO funny to read about the conspiracy theories that people have on here....I know, I know, most don't understand what is going on, but if you just READ some, you can find out alot.

Ok, here is the thing...

Netflix is in business knowing FULLY well, that discs are getting copied...honestly...who in their right mind will just borrow 5-10 dvds at once to just watch them...sorry, if you have that much time on your hands...maybe you should like volunteer or something ;)
    (no offense to anyone on this one, LOL!)

Blockbuster is in on this with the same thought...and also because they are kicking themselves in the @ss because Netflix took all their customers...2 free rentals a week....OH MY LORD...talk about stretching as much as possible....oh yeah...Blockbuster knows the same thing as well. As a matter of fact, my friend works at the BBV in Miami and his boss just asked him recently how to burn a movie...LOL! Go figure right...

And Walmart....please....they could care less, just as long as they are making some money off of it...that is why you don't see any of there commercials on tv

Seriously, they know people do this...they don't know who, and they can't tell. But this last statement holds true...

"Companies know what customers do with their product, but in the grand scheme of things...it is like a don't ask, don't tell....unless you get stupid and starting selling 'em online."

See ya!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005