1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i back up a copy righted DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by turnz426, Dec 16, 2004.

1. turnz426

turnz426 Member

hi every1. i dont know if anyone can help me but all suggestions would be muchly appreciated. i can not back up my spider man dvd. ive tried dvd decrypter, alcohol 120%, nero and DVD shrink. in dvd shrink (my prefered program) i keep getting an error message at about 66% of the analysing stage. the message is:

Failed to read file "D:\"
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

all suggestions are welcome.
    thanx

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You need to upgrade your media.

3. turnz426

turnz426 Member

i have all the current edditions. so what am i meant to upgrade to?

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Data error (cyclic redundancy check). DVD Shrink can not read part of the disc. Try cleaning it up, if no results . Try these settings for DVD Decrypter.
    First, it should be version 3.5.1.0.

Open Decrypter, click on Tools,then Settings

Click on Defaults, then select these;

General tab
    Options - Removal Method - Aggressive

File Mode tab
    Options - Remove PUOs (IFO and/or VOB)

ISO Read Mode tab
    Options - Remove PUOs (IFO and/or VOB)

CSS tab
    CSS Cracking Method - Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange

On Failure - Yes

IMPORTANT:
    I/O tab
    Options - Ignore read errors.

This is an excellent setting for dealing with scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

Source: ScubaPete

5. MarianneZ

MarianneZ Guest

I have the exact problem and i tried all the things mentioned by rroettger and yet nothing solved the problem. Is there sth else I could try?
    Thanks!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

When I said "Upgrade" Im refering to quality -

"CRC" errors are from: Dirty, scratched / poor quality discs -

Let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

7. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

I keep getting the same problems.
    Failed to read file "D:\"
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    I use maxell are they good? I was thinking about buying a dvd skip dr do you think this would help?

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Maxell +R's are good, Maxell -R's are definatly not !

OK, I'll bite, What is a "skip drive" ?

10. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

11. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

I live in canada what are some good brands of dvd-r's?
    I use maxell right now because my freind said they're good.....
    Thanks all 4 the help

12. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

Hey flip

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

I think they have been watching to much star trek,it looks like a hyped up phaser

[​IMG]

software description:

Digital Innovations 1040800 Skip Doctor DVD Repair Kit

The DVD Doctor scratch repair device is scientifically proven to repair the primary disc-related causes of screen freezing, booting problems, skipping and distortion in music, movie, game and data optical media. Its patented radial polishing process automatically provides perfect control every time.

If it works for you go for it but i find taking the discs to my local video ezy to clean up with there $5000 dollar machine is better than a cheap $39.95 that i cant say is recommended

have fun

andmerr

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

amsk10,

Actually it's not called dvd skip dr It is called "Skip Doctor" - period -

When you re-name products (like throwing things in front of it and forgetting to put a period in an abbreviation) it kind of throws me off my feed, making me feel dumber than usual. - Sorry I had to ask for the code key (Lol)

BTW, here's the homepage link in case you wish to purchase one of their other models :)

http://singclean.com/skipdr.htm

Hey, you can always use some free tricks -

!. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try –

2. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

3. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

4. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

"Dr. ScubaPete's, too cheap to buy the professional stuff, Recipe Book for Scratch Repair."

To help with those small "Kiddie Scratches" on your DVD's -

TO BE USED AS A FINAL RESORT to retrieve scratched DVD's.

Materials needed:
    A soft cotton cloth
    Toothpaste w/Borax (Arm & Hammer may be added)
    (Brasso metal polish may be used as a substitute for toothpaste)
    Isopropanol Alcohol
    Pledge
    Glass
    Ice
    Orange Juice and Vodka

Method: "If this doesn't work it's into the "Circular File" (an Americanism meaning "The Garbage can") with you -

START:
    1. Place the disc on a firm soft surface.
    2.Apply a small amount of toothpaste with a small amount of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to a clean, soft cotton cloth and apply to your DVD. Rubbing very firmly in even strokes from the center outwards towards the edge. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Do this over the entire disc turning the disc slowly in a circular manner, always going from the inside to the outer edge.

When Finished –
    3. clean it either with a commercial unit (available at "Radio Shack" OR your local electronics store) OR clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind, you may use some Windex (Windex has some additives, coloring and the like). Clean by using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edgeClean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind use some Windex, using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge.

NEXT:
    Using a clean piece of cotton cloth, apply Pledge to the entire disc in the same manner as the toothpaste was applied above.

Attempt to play disc.
    If the disc refuses to play, take 1 large 12oz. glass, add just 3 Ice cubes, too many ice cubes will "water down" the mixture rendering it unsuitable for usage, then add 70% Orange Juice and 30% Vodka. The contents are to be shaken, NOT STIRED. The glass's contents are to be liberally applied internally.

Steps 2 through 5 may be repeated as required to recover disc.

After 2 complete passes, step 5. may be repeated PRN. (PRN is medical lingo for "As needed" OR "Whenever you want.) :p)

Best of Luck and

SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL,

Pete

15. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

Sorry scuba pete!!! (mr.perfect)

16. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

So Scuba pete i need help with one more thing...
    I keep getting these errors so i cant burn them and your saying it's due to bad media. Do you think that a skip dr. would fix them and make them burnable? even though they are bad media

17. arnsk10

arnsk10 Guest

You've aleardy named a bunch but i've never heard or seen those makes before. Could you name some more popular good blank dvd-r's?
    thanks

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

arnsk10,

That's not necessary - :(

AFA making your discs playable, if they are scratched you have a chance - If they are that bad, you'll probably do better just renting others and copying them - it will probably be cheaper also.

I've named names and companies - I've given you a link to download DVD Identifier so that you could check yourself - (Add Phillips to your list) surely you could do some research on your own -

BTW, the companies I've named make up the majority of discs made world-wide. The names I mentioned are very popular around me, on the Internet and elsewhere - I've provided you with guidelines, I'll do no more - Now you'll know, smart comments won't gain you any favors -

Pete

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004