1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I convert DVI to mpeg

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by idr, Dec 4, 2005.

1. idr

idr Member

I want to convert DVI from a dual monitor graphics card to high quality mpeg or similar format.
    What hardware and software do I need

Any help apprecited

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

So In Essance you want to record the Video Output from your PC"s Video Card??

Well I don"t think you can Do this On your PC Or you Might need another PC to do it....

You could Connect the output from the Video Card to a DVD Recorder and Record it that way or you Can Connect the Output from the Video Card to the Video Input on a Capture Card on a different PC and record that way but this is all I can think of.....

3. idr

idr Member

Yes, esentially i want to record powerpoint presentations into mpegs but with a twist in that I want to see the mouse move on the screen. (ie not use 'record narration' feature in powerpoint). I think the only way to do that is to capture the video as it goes to the multimedia projector. That is analog - so I will use a dual monitor DVI video card and send one to the multimedia projector via a DVI to SVGA connector and the other clone output DVI to another computer with mpeg capture software. How do i convert the DVI to something that is compatible with those sorts of programs as they usually convert composite or s video or digital but digital is usually from a USB or firewire connection ??

In the past I have converted to betacam and then converted to mpegs using an ATI all in wonder card. Digital to analog to digital conversion has pretty poor image qaulity especially when most of what you are looking at is words.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can get an adapter that will convert the DVI Connection to either Composite/RCA or S-Video but this will entail converting the DVI Signal to analogue but there is no way arround that as Most Capture cards will only Capture analogue Video.....

Cheers

5. idr

idr Member

That what I was afraid of. Seems insane to convert to analog and then back to digital.
    Thanks for your help

6. Pyrex666

Pyrex666 Member

Are you just looking to pull video off of your monitor? Like record everything that occurs on your screen? If so, try a program called "Fraps". You can turn the mouse on and off in this program.. I think ;) Sorry if I completly missed the ball on this one.

Cheers!