1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i edit autorun.inf so that i can execute 2 exe files one by one

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by rajeevjha, Aug 3, 2003.

1. rajeevjha

rajeevjha Guest

Hello,

I may sound dumb but i really wanna edit autorun.inf file
    i have 2 installation files ..... the first setup.exe (game installation) which wd install the game on my harddisk and then i want to add the 2 setup.exe (patchfile for the game ) to automatically start and install in the required directory overwriting the previous file ..

is there any way where i can automatically launch the 2 setup.exe file one by one after the installation of game / application is finished ?

Autorun.inf
    open ="gameinstall.exe"
    open - "patch".exe" ( i want this patch file to automatically start after the game is installed )

Let me know what changed or settings i have to do to start 2 setup.exe files automatically one by one

thanxs in advance

2. PlusOne

PlusOne Member

To my knowledege, you cannot directly setup an autorun.inf file to run two files sequentially. You do have a couple of options:

1) Create a batch script (text file ending in ".bat") with the file names to execute on seperate lines seperated by a carriage return, then set autorun.inf to execute the batch file. Note that I have had luck in getting this to work on WinXP, some Win98 users have complained...

2) Really, the best solution is to create a small app that has no dependencies to run the two applications.

But all of this leads to one simple question -- why not just edit the instalation program?

3. rajeevjha

rajeevjha Guest

I have a game which has a no cd crack so first i install the game on my harddisk
    when i play the executable file it asks for the right cd to be inserted
    the 2 file is a patchfile which will overwrite the original file on the harddisk

cd u tell me the parameters to be used in setup.bat in autorun.inf ?

i mean in setup.bat
    what command shld i execute .. to play both the setup files one after another ??

thanxs in advance

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It would be something like this:

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  5. rajeevjha

rajeevjha Guest

Thanxs for ur help :)

but i have a small problem
    in the starup.bat file
    i have included the following lines
    @echo off
    cls
    1.) setup.exe is the main game file which wd install first
    2.) patch.exe is the patch file which i want to install once the game in installed on my hard disk just to overwrite the original file..
    now the problem is both this installation setup start simultaneously
    is there any way where i can start patch.exe file once the setup.exe (original installation) is completed that means i want the 2 file to start after the installation of 1 file is completed ?

is there any command i can inclue between this 2 lines

<<<localpath of installer1>>>
    <<<localpath of installer2>>>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you're going to be running this on Windows 2000 or XP you could try using this:

start /wait <first_program>
    <second_program>

I don't believe that this will work on Win9x.

Edit: Just looked this up in a Win98 command reference and apparently the correct syntax for 9x would be:

start /w <first_program>
    <second_program>

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You may also want to take a look at CDOrc or AutoPlay Express, both of which are Autorun configuration doohicky program thingys. :D

8. rajeevjha

rajeevjha Guest

start /w command dint work :(

can i get a link to download autoplay express and the other software ?

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

AutoPlay Express (looks like it's a 30 day trial):
    http://www.imagespro.com/programs/1740/

CDOrc:
    http://www.cdorc.com/frameset.php3?lang=eng&banner=6&content=news

There's also a freeware program called Autorun Constructor that you may want to look at:
    http://www.windows-reg.narod.ru/acen.htm

With any of these tools you will probably be building a menu with 2 buttons. First you will click on the button to run the first program and then you will have to click on a second button for the second program. That may be as close as you can get without creating an actual installer like professional software uses (like InstallShield).