1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i make iDVD recognise my Lacie D2?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by skoht, Apr 15, 2007.

1. skoht

skoht Member

I am a newbie to computers and am havign a mini crisis. With my wife expecting in a month or so I have puchased a HDD camcorder... after struggling i figured out how to get the video (and audio for that matter) on my old and dated mac (os 10.3.9) that DOESNT have an internal dvd burner. So i purchased a while ago a Lacie D2 external drive.
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10071
    iDVD will not recognise it and states "the application iDVD could not be opened because the neccesary hardware could not be found"

is there anything i can do or is my future baby footage dstined to be on my harddrive for life?

2. lbucci

lbucci Member

Unplugging a Apple machine for ten minutes which will resets the Firewire ports. It's an obscure troubleshooting procedure for flaky Firewire devices. It will work for more than just drives, scanners as well.

The other option is the operations manual that came with you Apple computer. There is an introduced to the Apple Hardware Test - a program resident on by original installation disk, found by booting from the disk with the OPTION key held down. Use that.

If all of this is fails then find a Windows PC Plug it in and see if it works. If not Take out the DVD out of it's case and plug it into the PC IDE cable directly. If it works and is recognized by the BIOS, the case is faulty. If the Drive is not recognized by the PC the DVD is Faulty. Send it back.

3. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

to fix this in any version of mac os x

go and download patchburn

this will install a universal driver for your external drive and i hope your doing it by firewire because usb will not produce any data on the disk because it is to slow and overloads the usb port.