1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I OC my Core 2 ??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Navi89, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Hi,

I just picked up a E6300, I hear they can OC to 2.4 and beyond. How do I go about doing this? I was reading something about FSB and multipliers, but I couldn't find more detailed information. Can someone tell me how or provide me with a good link?

Thank you.

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

What are your system specs... MB, ram ,etc? Also be aware you void your warranty on the cpu as soon as you OC your system. You might want to try reading the OC'ing thread under the pc hardware forum to get some ideas and there are plenty of websites out there that deal in OC'ing.

3. Navi89

Navi89 Member

E6300, asus P5n32-SLI Premium, 2gb Patriot DDR2 800, 640mb BFG 8800 GTS

I glanced through the official OC thread, theres like 100+ pages. I also goggled OC e6300, of coarse there are lots of results but not all tell me what I need to know. I learned a little, but not enough, I spent the last 3 hours last night trying to figure it out. I used the asus AI tuning features, but I don't think it's working cause I told it to OC 20% and my 1.86 went to 1.87. Lame. So I tried doing it manual and every time I played with it my pc would not start and I had to pull the mobo battery. Thats why I post here, I know the people here know how, it would make sense to ask for help rather then waste 10+ hours and potentially damage my gear.

I've been doing some more reading, please help me understand this....

# FSB Settings: 264MHz to 525MHz (1056MHz to 2100MHz QDR Mode)
    - to OC my CPU? what is QDR mode?

# DDR Settings: DDR2-400MHz to 1600MHz
    - to OC ram?

# CPU Voltage Settings: 1.22500V to 1.60000V
    # CPU VTT Settings: 1.20V to 1.55V
    # Vcore Overvolt Settings: +200mV
    - which of these is to adjust CPU voltage? what do the other 2 adjust?

# Memory Voltage Settings: 1.80V to 2.55V
    - to adjust memory voltage?

# SB PCIe Frequency: 100MHz to 150MHz
    # NB PCIe Frequency: 100MHz to 150MHz
    # SB Voltage Settings: 1.50V to 1.65V
    # NB Voltage Settings: 1.40V to 1.75V
    - i know this is for N and S bridge, but i know nothing else, please explain.

# NB/SB LDT Frequency: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x
    - please explain.

# 1.2V HT Settings: 1.20V to 1.35V
    - please explain

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  4. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Update:

I finally OC'd my E6300. I'm up to 2.5 on air w/ stock fan. Pretty cool. However, when I touch my ram settings my pc won't boot. Any suggestions? Also, I still don't know what this is....

# NB/SB LDT Frequency
    # 1.2V HT Settings

And I'm still not sure the difference between these....

# CPU Voltage Settings
    # CPU VTT Settings
    # Vcore Overvolt Settings

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Well I'm not well versed at oc'ing as I haven't done a lot of it with the new hardware. From what I have read if you can stay away from messing with your cpu voltage do so (thats the last three things listed in your post).
    nb and sb stand for your north bridge and south bride controllers. the ddr sticks you have are good but I don't think they are built for oc'ing. that would be why your system locks up. be careful if you overvolt your ram too much wave buh bye! sounds like you have a decent start to the oc so far. All i can really tell you is go hang out in the oc'ing thread and do lots of reading. yes I know it stinks but it's the best way to go about what you are doing.
    good luck and have fun!!

6. REAM

REAM Guest

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you would really only need to look at the 10 or 20 pages in our ocing thread as much before that is pre c2d and if you ask for help others will be happy to or could point you to some info that can help. we do have some very good ocers here (4ghz+) and their help should not be overlooked.

you might find that turning off all the unused/needed options in your bios as it has been known to help.

cooling is somthing i dont see mentioned in your specs, if your still using the stock intel cooler you will be very lucky to get much higher than 2.6/2.8ghz. if money is no object i would reccomend the thermalright ultra 120 or the extreme version but if your on a tight budget an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro is very good for its price and its let me get as high as i have and other who have been luckier with their cpus have gotten higher.

you should be able to hit 3ghz+ with that chip but you may need to up the voltage to it. you have some very oc friendly componants there and could hit 3.5ghz+ if you have good enough cooling and were lucky with your cpu.

i have a 4300 which will hit 3.3ghz but it needs 1.45v (in bios 1.41v in reality) to be totaly stable at that speed i run at 3ghz 24/7 (see sig) on 1.35v which is the same volts it auto sets to.

8. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Thnx for the help on the posts folks. Been a while since i did any oc'ing. May have to jump back into it since I'm running a e6420 on a p5w dh.