1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you convert mkv to avi with 5.1 channels audio intact?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by red2, Oct 14, 2012.

1. red2

red2 Member

I been doing trials and error on my behalf through research on google. Some methods I used was like demuxing the audio and video.. the process was too complicated and tedious (yes I did it though) but it came out corrupted or wrong- even after converting mkv to avi with no sound and stripping the audio (ac3 5.1) separately. I then muxed them together with AVIMux_GUI. Other programs I am aware does not support muxing and saving it to avi container nor even accept avi as a whole. I tried some programs that claimed it did like "avidemux 2.6" and all it did was encode the video mkv to avi.. it did nothing as far as making it true .avi. And some of my other media players would confirm this since it reads avi's and this one (or many I made) came out corrupted but played well on my PC. I'm using mkv video files mainly with 5.1 channels. I am also dealing with ac3 right now but, wondering if its possible to do this with dts. I have some videos on my computer that is avi and has 5.1 channels and plays well on my external media players. But I don't know how that person did it.. since its from an outside source. Any help guys? I know its possible but I suppose its probably more complicated than what I did.. the only other alternative is to convert the videos I have with 5.1 channels to mp4. Majority of video converters accept output to ac3 with the exception of using mp4 only. I'm trying to avoid mpeg and mkv. Thus converting mkv (for example) to avi but retain the 5.1 audio(ac3/dts).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I haven't used AviDemux version 2.6 much, but there was no problem converting from the mkv to avi container.
    The video and audio were simply copied and the 5.1 ac3 functioned fine.
    The top image is the mkv file source, the lower image, the avi output.

[​IMG]

3. red2

red2 Member

I'm still scratching my head on that one... what did you do with the info after? I never used mediainfo but I saved the mkv info as text. Does it only give you the information? How did you convert mkv to avi with audio intact?

By the way, I think I may have figured out why some of my external media players haven't been playing my muxed videos (mkv to avi).. they were not xvid/divx processed.. thus perhaps I did everything right but it was just a plain avi container. Xvid/divx might have been the little problem in all this mess.. thanks in advance for further assistance.

4. attar

attar Senior member

That's the information showing what was in the MKV container before conversion and after conversion to AVI.

AviDemux simply changed container formats.
    Nothing was encoded.
    The video and audio streams were copied without encoding.

And as you alluded, the playback device (PC, external media player, standalone DVD player) used for playback must:
    Recognize the container.
    Have a codec that can decode the content.

5. red2

red2 Member

I see.. well thats useful. And I have gotten a bit further to my goal. I used mediainfo for that outside source video I talked about (avi container with ac3 audio) and here is what was reported:

General
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 3.21 GiB
    Duration : 2h 9mn
    Overall bit rate : 3 540 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2542/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2542/release

The compression method was lossy for the video which is exactly what I want. But it has xvid codec..

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 1
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD

The same with the audio:

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 2000
    Duration : 2h 9mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy

^ that is the information regarding the outside video source I looked into. I tried to find out how that person did it.. and went with virtualdub 1.5.10.2 as that what he used to write it. The problem now, when I load an MKV file on virtualdub 1.5.10.2, it gives me this error:

I been on this several hours and I thought I take a rest. I have checked, I do have all the codecs (ffdshow) installed. I do have avisynth installed. So I dont know what virtualdub 1.5.10.2 wants exactly. I have tried other varies attempts using cmd line for ffmpeg. But I literally got stuck using the command lines for the specific job. Especially for my goal to convert MKV video with ac3/dts to avi with lossy quality and audio (ac3) intact while having XVID/DIVX encoded. I found out it needs to be xvid or divx which is what my dvd player/ external media player can decode. Unless this has to be compressed? -__- (excuse my ignorance.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDubMod is an old modified version of VirtualDub.
    If you want to open mkv files using the up to date version of VirtualDub, you have to install the DirectShow filter plugin for the video and the AC3-ACM codec for ac3 audio.

It's easier to use AviDemux 2.6.0 which uses self contained codecs.
    Note the sample mkv input file properties are XviD and AC3 5.1
    Choose to copy the video and audio and output as AVI.

[​IMG]

7. red2

red2 Member

AviDemux 2.6 does not work at all. Wasted two hours converting a movie with xvid avi exactly how you showed in the picture above. Tested on my media player and it did not work. Showed video as corrupted once again.. I might just give up on this. Seems there is no way of doing it and if there is, there aren't many elaborate tutorials. I'll stick with mp4 I suppose is what everyone prefers than avi anyways. I'm still open to doing this but that avidemux will not help at all. Thanks.

8. red2

red2 Member

All right. I been busy so I didn't come by as soon as I should have. But I finally made it work. The tools I used were:

VirtualDub 1.4.8 AC3 support by RaStr
    Avisynth (of course)
    MKV2AC3 1.03 (to convert audio to ac3)

1. Opened the avs file in virtualdub.
    2. Imported the ac3 file created by mkv2ac3.
    3. Chose proper numbers, compression/audio/video etc.
    4. Muxed it all together. Wallah! High quality video with avi container.

Problem solved.. wow so many good programs I found and this one did the better job. :)
    Almost no quality loss with 5.1 audio crisp.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. ireland

ireland Active member

Pazera Free MKV to AVI Converter 1.0
    Convert Matroska video files (MKV) to AVI or MPEG. MKV to AVI, MKV to MPG, MKA to AVI

Pazera Free MKV to AVI Converter is the free video converter which converts Matroska video files (MKV) to AVI or MPEG. MKV files are very common on the Internet, but many players and video editing programs do not support the MKV format. In this case, it is necessary to convert MKV files to more popular format, such as AVI or MPG.

Pazera Free MKV to AVI Converter is the free video converter which converts Matroska video files (MKV) to AVI or MPEG.

MKV is an open standard of multimedia container that allows to embed multiple audio tracks and subtitles in one file. For this reason it is very often used to rip DVD and Blu-ray discs. Unfortunately, many players and video editing programs do not support the MKV format. In this case, it is necessary to convert MKV files to more popular format, such as AVI or MPG.

The program has a number of predefined settings (profiles) specially designed for novice users. While more advanced users can customize video and audio encoding parameters used by encoder: audio and video codec, audio and video bitrate, audio track to convert, fps, sampling frequency, resolution, volume, deinterlacing, and other.

The Pazera Free MKV to AVI Converter interface is a very simple and user-friendly. To convert video files, just drag & drop them into main window and click CONVERT button.

i use it all the time...its fast and quick

i do not have a link

10. red2

red2 Member

Hmm never used Pazera.. too late for it though I like the viruldub style. However,

since you know Pazera well, does it support output to ac3/dts?
    and does it support batch mode?

11. ireland

ireland Active member

The most important features
    Converting MKV video files to AVI or MPG.
    Limited support for other video formats (including AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MTS, OGM, AMV).
    Decoding the most important audio and video codecs used in MKV files: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XviD, VC-1, AC3, DTS, AAC, MP3 etc.
    Supported video encoders: XviD, DivX 3, H.264, WMV, MPEG4-FFmpeg, S-Mpeg 4 v. 2, Motion JPEG (MJPEG), HuffYUV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2.
    Supported audio encoders: Lame (MP3), MP2, AC3, AAC, WMA, PCM 16-bit.
    Support for multithreaded encoding using the H.264 (x264) encoder.
    The ability to convert any audio stream from a video file with multiple audio tracks.
    A number of predefined conversion profiles. Possibility to save your own settings to an INI file.
    A large number of encoding parameters: audio and video bitrate, fps, number of channels and audio sampling, the volume, change the resolution, scaling and cropping the image, deinterlacing, and others.
    Possibility of 2-pass encoding, which will increase the image quality and reduces the volume of output file.
    The ability to save the FFmpeg encoder commands in a BAT file.
    The program requires no installation. Just extract ZIP archive to any directory and double-click the file mkvtoavi.exe.
    The program is portable: it does not use system registry and all settings are stored in INI files in a directory with the program. Thanks to this program can be run from portable devices such as pendrives, removable drives.
    The program has a built-in support for multiple languages, but the current version supports English and Polish. Support for other languages will appear soon.
    100% freeware! - for private and commercial use. The program does not require registration, there is no built-in limitations and spyware applications, does not add to the generated files "watermarks", etc.

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mkv-to-avi-converter/

i found the link above and hereS more info on the program.you will also find a ton of other free programs there..