1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you tell when you'r getting old?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by forkman, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Xian

Xian Regular member

I am so old the Dead Sea was only sick when I was a kid.

I find what makes me feel old is stuff that seemed like it happened just yesterday and it was 20 or 30 yrs ago. Like it just seemed like yesterday that Bush was president and we were in a war in Iraq, but it was really 13 yrs ago. Oh wait, bad example. I have a good article at home, I will try to find it tonight and post it, things that make you feel old (I am 45). Stuff like the kids in college today were born when Reagan was president, punk rock was before their time, there have always been MTV and VCRs and CDs as far as they know, and other things like that.

I first felt old when I realized I could go out with a girl half my age and not break any laws.

2. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

You know your getting old when your oldest daughter walks into the room in some thing you would of loved to see a girl wear when you were younger, and you actually drop your BEER......SHE IS NO LONGER ALOWED TO SHOP ON HER OWN!

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Xian, very true. We have a whole generation that did not know life with out the Simpsons!!!

Six.6.Six, that is funny. I thought you were going to say, wearing somthing you would like to see on a different girl.

You also know your old when the stuff you wore as a kid and is still in the closset has just become the all new craze again.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

When you're filling out an online form using a drop-down for the year you were born and you have to scroll down a hell of a lot further than seems right.

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

six.6.six - amen to that man, i got 3 girls myself, the oldst being 9, and already she wears some stuff i would love as a kid, but hate as a dad. But, the times change i guess, just gotta roll with it (well to some extent anyway).

6. forkman

forkman Member

Prisoner joking aside my little girl is 3 years old an HONESTLY her first word was Simpsons,Her brothers watch it on Sky Tv vitually every night.
    Her mother was well pissed off.

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Thats amazing. My first word was Honey, the seet kind that you eat. Not some odd nick or anything.

Just tell you wife, at least it wasn't South park. Now that would really worp a kid.

8. forkman

forkman Member

Sky Tv over here shows the Simpsons every day and whenever the theme music would come on her 3 brothers would rush in shouting Simpsons Simpsons all excited,and she picked up on this.
    So one night about 2 years ago the theme music started up (She's sat on my lap with mummy next to us) when she said something like shimpshons,Lisa my with could not belive her.
    However your right about Southpark lou could end up hating hippies or even worse :)

9. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

You're only as old as the lady youre feeling!

I find when browns and greens dominate your wardobe you know youre getting old. And when cordurouy starts replacing jeans.

10. Nephilim

I just bought a new pair of corduroy pants last week!

First pair in probably 20 years. I'm much bigger and meaner now so I don't have to be afraid of getting beat up for wearing them like when I was in school :)

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I would say when you start wearing black a lot. Wore a lot of black in primary and high school. Now more colour and when I start to wear more black you know I geting old as my friends are dieing off.

Sad but true.

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Black eh? .... crap. Oh wait, I know I'm decrepit. :p

13. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

Oh damn, i'm only 22 and i think "Fukin'dumb kids" all the time. I especialy hate punks between the ages 0f 13-16, who think they are "all-that".

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Yep, its all down hill from there Bitcount.

Soon you will start forgeting your age and then the weeks will fly by as if hours.

15. Nephilim

And then you'll buy velcro shoes from K-Mart :p

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Do you still have a K-mart down there?
    I used to work for K-mart here when I was in High school. But they are now no more in Canada. Really sad, a great place.

K-mart, K-mart, definently K-mart underwear, only K-mart.

Got to love Rain man.

17. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

Man i'm even starting to say "when i was a kid things did'nt cost that". Hell just a few days ago i told one of those "when i was a kid" stories. Oh man, i even have back pain sometimes. Man, i think i need to have a nap..........

18. Nephilim

There's still K-Marts here and there in Phoenix. Wal-Mart and Target have really put a hurtin' on them though.

Haven't watched Rain Man in years lol.

I took my neice (14) and nephew (9) to the comic book store the other day and about fell over when I saw that a pack of trading cards was $5 and they didn't even come with that horribly hard gum we all loved!

I was trying to describe what Pong, Atari and Coleco were like to my neice and nephew.

19. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Ok,OK how about this my son (5) saw a Linkin Park video the other day and wanted to know what are those things the guy is spinning you know the big black things dad?!?!?!? Wow my son does'nt know what a Record is all his life he's only known cd's/dvd's lol!

20. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

Now you know how your parents felt when you asked them: "what's a 8-track"?