1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many passes to do with divx?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Raptorman, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

I've encoded a few movies using a guide simillar to the one on afterdawn and was just wondering what the quality would be like if I only went for one pass? can anyone explain to me why 2 passes are so much better?

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Raptorman, with multipass, the codec makes notes for itself on each pass so it knows which scenes have fast motion and therefore need more bitrate. With one pass, the codec doesn't know what's ahead so it has to do the best job it can on the fly.
    You can compare it to driving a car. It's easier to drive when there's lots of visibility than when there's a lot of dense fog because you can't see that far ahead and don't know when/where the curves in the road are.
    Moral of the story: Use multipass so your video don't swerve all over the road, yeah that's it...lol

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

2pass or more (if applicable) to what program your using to encode DivX.

Shoey :)

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Is 2pass, if we r using analogies, not more like a paint roller. There more times you roll over it, the better it is.

5. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Oriphus, that's a good one :)

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cheers, i liked yours too ;-)