1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to add subtitles to an AVI and convert all to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shta, Feb 8, 2008.

1. shta

shta Guest

i downloaded this avi movie but the problem s that the movie is not in english an it dosen't have english subtitles...but there is a link to wey i can get the subtitles from...so i downloaded the zip file that contains the sub an they cam out in 2 srt files..
    now am lost how to i put them into movi so i can watch it...an i want to put this movie onto dvd also...how do i go about doing this

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You could join the subtitles, but that can be a pain.
    The pronlem is that you downloade the movie that is one part and the subtitles are 2 parts. The easiest way to do it is download new subtitles, that are only 1 file.
    just google for "Divx subtitles" or "Avi subtitles" and download the ones that say they are for 1 CD.

Then you use DVD Flick to put the movie onto a DVD:

http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/dvd-flick-guide.html

What is the full name of the movie( for example 30 Days of Night[2007]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG.avi) Try to look for the subtitles with the same name, not just the name of the movie, but the entire string name. This way they will most likely be in sync.

If you just want to watch it on your computer, to display subtitles download VobSub, FFDShow or VLC player, and make sure the video file and the subtitles are in the same folder and named exactly the same, e.g Movie.avi and Movie.srt

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. shta

shta Guest

the movie i downloaded came in 2 different avi files...so i am gguessing that the 2 srt files are for each file..so i was wondering if there is any way that i can put each of the srt files to each of the avi files...then i can use convertxtodvd to convert both files to burn to dvd

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Okay, then it is easy.
    When you load the files in ConvertxtoDVD, each title should let you add extra files, like another audio track or subtitles that you have( at least DVD Flick does, which is free, so I would only assume that it is possible with Cvx2DVD also).

5. shta

shta Guest

ok then...i was wondering will it be posssible for me tochange the font size an colour when i put them into the convertxtodvd,cause i would like for it to be shown nice where as i can read it nice an clear

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

7. shta

shta Guest

looks like a real simple tutoorial will do it an get back to you to let you know how it went....thank alot

8. shta

shta Guest

i followed the above tutorial...but now when i go to burn it i get a error message saying that the resulting ideo might not be playable...what have i done wrong

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What software are you trying to burn with?
    Hmm...must be the way that ConvertxtoDVD created the DVD structure. Run the files through FixVts, or see if you can you open the new created DVD with DVD Shrink? If you can , I would transcode it with DVD Shrink(is should take only a few minutes). DVD Shrink will output a proper DVd structure. If you can't open it with DVD Shrink, something is missing from the authored DVD.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/fixvts_guide.cfm

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. shta

shta Guest

i am using nero 7.5 to burn the dvd...an i tried to play the files that were already converted using nero show an it would not play..i tries using my vlc player to play the same files an nothing is happening.i for what the error message said

11. shta

shta Guest

is it ok for me to put the name of the movie an the srt files on here

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes it is, just the name, not the link to the download.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  13. shta

shta Guest

the.warlords.2007.dvdrip.xvid-bien-cd1
    the.warlords.2007.dvdrip.xvid-bien-cd1.srt

the.warlords.2007.dvdrip.xvid-bien-cd2
    the.warlords.2007.dvdrip.xvid-bien-cd2.srt

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Posting the name doesn't really help though, as it doesn't tell anything about the condition of the AVI file or the ConvertxToDVD process.

15. shta

shta Guest

ok....watched the movie using vlc player an added the option so that subtitles would play along with it an it was playing perfect the subs was on time an everything.........the prob is when i covert

16. shta

shta Guest

i will convert again an see what happens this time..

17. shta

shta Guest

i was wondering if this could be the problem..i just noticed that when i add one off the avi files into convertxtodvd an click on the lil plus button to view the subtitle screen...i notice it says

1 subtitle stream-0 internel,1 external

i was wondering if that 1 external is the srt file thats already there an i don't have to add it in again like how i did with first 1 i converted.....

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It says "one external subtitle" because you added the subtitle to the project. If you do not add it, it will not be included in the project.

19. shta

shta Guest

no i did not add it...i just drop the movie in the screen an i guess all its files came along with it...an i think thats where i went wrong the first time i converted (i was not paying attention)i went right there an added the subs again..an all along it was already there from i drop the avi file in the screen...atleast now i know better for next time..
    an thanks for the help really appricate it..i am goin to convert now an i will let you know how this comes out

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Alrighty. Good luck.