1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to divide internet connection evenly between 2 computers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pony512, Mar 8, 2005.

1. pony512

pony512 Member

hi,

i have two computers in my house and a netcomm 4 port router and have just recently signed up with a new ISP and me and my flat mate would like to know if there is a program or setting that allows us to set the bandwidth that is allocated to each computer, so we can allocate say half to each so we can download at the same speed and have equal connection,

any help would be great

Thanks

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Unless you get some sort of bandwidth limiting program, this is practically impossible.

However in theory if you both download at the same time FROM the same server, you will "divide the speed evenly".

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I just have to know. Why would you even want to do this? If one of the computers where off the other would be robbed of bandwidth since "half" is going to each. Does not seem praticle at all. The router will controll the flow. Belive in it. FYI, I have run across some routers that allow you to set maximum transfer rate to a certain IP. I do not recall the brands, sorry.

-Del

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

As above - it is unlikely you will both be using your PCs exactly at the same time to download a page, so why not use the maximum. If however you are worried about a P2P being used more on one than another, and have a download limit then that is a different problem, which I can understand, but don't know of a solution.

I think you just talk to each other and probably won't really notice the difference - except for p2p