1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fit more than one dvd to a disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by amaze122, Nov 28, 2004.

1. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I have five dvd episodes of HBO comedy specials, not very long in length. I would like to burn two on one dvd-r disk, and three on another one (I know that they will fit). I would also like to save them on my hard-drive that way, so that in the future I can just click on each directory in turn with say, DVD Shrink and it will know to burn them as two on one, and three on another(disk). How do I acheive this? When i try to save more than one set of video_ts files to a folder, either one set is written over, or they are regarded as two separate dvds by my burning programs, and they will only let me input one set to a disc for burning, if I try to input the second set of video_ts files, the program replaces the first set....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

They dont have a guide here on After Dark for this but your in luck I have one at my sight using DVD Shrink you can easily join 2 or 3 or 4 movies onto one disk. Check out my guide.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Good luck :)

3. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Thanks loads, dude. I am reading your guide now. I will let you know how it goes... Thanks for replying.
    };-{0

4. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Hey bbmayo -
    I have read elsewhere that the menus and some other functions of the original movie, or in this case movies, will no longer work after doing this. If this is the case, couldn't I just choose to leave them out as well as the credits, previews, etc. ?
    Once I have everything I want can I then burn ISO image to a hard drive folder and use nero vision express to add a working menu that would allow me to skip from one movie to the other as well as selecting chapters from one movie or the other? I have been trying to just put the two together using nero vision express and/or nero recode but haven't been having much success due to time constraints.

Any feedback would help! Thanks

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

jpcoo,
    You can use Nero Vision Express NVE to do this as well. It will have a little more functionality because you can add a menu that allows you to pick the movie you want. Problem I find with NVE is it takes a long time to make your movie.
    You could keep all your menus and everything using shrink to combine the movies, but the problem there is quality. You want the best picture possible, and my guide is basically showing just how to put 2 movies on a disk without the extras this way you are getting the best quality available.
    As far as going from one movie to the next most DVD players let you chose a "TITLE" to play when you hit the menu button. Title number 1 would be your first movie and title 2 would be the second. This is how I navigate around after using Shrink to combine movies so I don’t really care about the fancy menus. I would rather have better video quality.
    Also I wouldn't recommend combining two movies anyway because of the loss of quality, but a lot of people want to know how to do this and this was just the easiest way to show them how. I only put 2 movies together for the kids because they are probably going to ruin the disk anyway. To be honest I can't tell much of a difference in a movie like Toy Story, but I did do both the Spiderman movies together and you could tell a little, but not much. They still look as good as an original VCR tape.
    There is a better faster way to make NVE work faster. You can run the movies through Shrink first and compress them down like I explain in my guide and then run them through NVE. It still takes a while, but it help’s a lot.
    I would recommend you read my first guide on using DVD Shrink to back up your movies, This shows you how to take out everything but the movie itself. Then do the same with another movie. Then you will have two movies on your hard drive. Then go ahead and use my guide on how to combine the 2 movies. Then you should have both movies in one folder on your hard drive that will fit on a DVD5 4.7GB disk. Now if you want to add neat menus and stuff you can use NVE. In NVE just click on add video files and browse to where you put both movies, select all the files that show up and add them. The file should look like this VTS_01_1 thru whatever this is your first movie and VTS_02_1 thru whatever this would be your second movie, but you really don’t need to worry about that just select them all and NVE will separate the 2 movies. Then you can add your own menus. If you’re really good you would capture the menu from the original disk into a jpeg, bitmap, or some sort of picture file and use this as your menu. That way it would look very professional. That was just a little tip you may want to think about. Anyway I used to make all those neat menus and crap, but it just takes to much time and it degrades the quality. So the choice is yours now that I gave you a few options.
    I will be making a guide on using NVE soon because so many people are asking about how to use it. Oh yeah Nero recode basically works just like shrink except it wont rip your DVD to your hard drive, but it will do exactly as it says “Recode” or basically shrink your DVD down to fit on a DVD5 or DVD9 disk. So you could use DVD Decrypter to rip your DVD and Recode to edit it and make it fit on one disk. I have done it this way and didn’t notice any difference except that it takes a little longer than using DVD Shrink and Nero. There are many options out there you should just experiment with all of them and use the one that works best for you. I just try to keep it as easy as possible that way less mistakes. :)

Have Great Day,
    bbmayo

6. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Thanks bbmayo!

I already have the 2 disks compressed using Shrink and put into 2 seperate folders. I will try using NVE again to pick the parts I want to keep and then I think I can use nero recode to compress/burn, since the encryption has been removed by shrink already. Does this sound doable. I have tinkered around with this a little bit, but like you say, it takes a LONG time and time is a precious commodity around my house now days. Plus like you say, I'm only doing this for my kids movies (ex. Shrek/Shrek2 onto one disk) and they will probably be ruined soon anyway with little tiny fingerprints:)
    Thanks for the pointers, and let me know if the method I described above sounds okay.

Also, another quick question. I am running 512mb SDRAM. Would I notice a signifigant increase in ripping, editing, and burning by switching to 512mb DDR RAM, or should I just wait til I can afford 1gb of DDR RAM?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What you want to do will work with both programs you mentioned. Only you will want to do it the opposite way. Use Recode to select the parts you want to keep, and then Use NVE to actually create compress and Burn The DVD. You could also use Shrink to pick the main movie and sound you want to keep and then use NVE. Either way like I said before Shrink and Recode will do the same thing for you only Shrink seems to do it a bit quicker. So you should use either Recode or Shrink first to pick out main movie only and one sound then use NVE to do the rest.

On the memory question. You wouldnt notice a big difference in upgrading your memory from SDRAM to DDR. Sure it would improve a little but not nearly as much as it would if you just added more memory. So you could just buy another 512MB of SDRAM(around $60)or wait and buy 1GB of DDR(around $150) I wouldn't switch out one 512 for another you probablly wouldn't notice any difference.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004