1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to install new internal Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by FaugYou, Sep 10, 2007.

1. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

Hi, I just got a Western Digital WD2500 (WD Caviar Enhanced IDE Hard Drive) 250GB Internal... I just don't know how to install it... I want to make it my only hard drive and I don't want to transfer any files from previous HDD's.. I plug it in taking out all the Jumpers (No jumpers = Single or Master Setting) but I turn it on and boot from my Windows XP Pro CD and it just repeats on and on this weird almost like beeping noise. I really have no idea how to install an OS on this HDD and I'm getting a little p-oed cuz I thought this'd be easy.

2. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

I used it as a slave on a different computer but I can't see it in My Computer and when I go to disk managment it won't let me format it... It also says it's around 8GB's (In the bios and disk management) but its more like 250... it's actually more like a low pitched squeaking sound instead of a beeping sound.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  3. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

u can try changing the boot order to where the cd-drive boots first before the HDD, i kinda had that problem at one point

4. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

Yea i forgot to say I did that... when I put in the Windows CD it says Windows is loading files and then it says Starting Windows Setup, but it says on that screen forever until I cut off the power I left it on overnight and same screen... I really don't think it's supposed to make that weird whirling squeaking noise... Could this mean it's broken?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The whining noise is weird, considering I have a WD2500 Caviar and I know what noise they make. I'll email a sound file of it if you're concerned as to how the drive should sound.

Are you certain there's not supposed to be a jumper in it? If the jumper settings list "CS" mode, try using that and see if it works. The 8GB is probably a 'capacity limit' setting which some drives have.