1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Make XBMC Your Default Dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by FuZ3, Aug 5, 2006.

1. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

Sorry guys I have been grounded so I haven't been on. Actually I'm still grounded so I don't really have time to help or answer questions. The only thing I can say right now is that if you follow it exactly then it works. But if you ever need further help, post here or PM me.

2. bazznet

bazznet Member

Hey thanx for the guide it is really detailed and hopefully works well as I am about to try it. Installed XBMC over old copy and now are having trouble finding the old dash file to overwrite. Will have look in E:\

One thing that really bugs me is finding out what exploit was used. I have 2 boxes modded and both softmodded when I got em. Looking on net does not reveal much and I am trying to find out what bios I now have.Any ideas how to find out. Have downloaded lots tools for xbox modding but are bit reluctant to use them and stuff it up.

Still I'll finish this tutorial and see how I go.Fingers crossed. The updated xbmc works a treat tho so half way there.

3. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

Good luck man!

4. sccandudz

sccandudz Member

pleasehelp me i tryed 2 follow your steps and now when i start up my xbox it just goes 2 a black screen then i look on my coputer and i screwd up on the path it was going 2 please help

5. sccandudz

sccandudz Member

any replys?

6. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

That happened to me once. I don't know what exactly I did to fix it though. Some how I got my linux file booted up and FTPed to my Xbox and fixed it because I had created a backup of my default.xbe

But other than that I can't really help you out.

7. sccandudz

sccandudz Member

umm im soft modded and i downloaded from xbl and now when ever i go 2 boot up my linux file it freezes? can u try 2 help me?please

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  8. sccandudz

sccandudz Member

can some 1 tell me if this will work:
    get a mod chip
    save xbmc on 2 a dvd
    run xbmc off the dvd
    ftp xbox
    fix file thats casing error
    reboot
    ?

9. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

Well I have no idea on what causes it to freeze so I can't really help.

10. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

I downloaded some skins from xbox-scene i think thats what its called and I dont know how to put new xbox skins on my XBMC can you do that and if you can how do you do it I dont wana make it my default just in XBMC.

11. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

In the XBMC folder there is a skins folder. Then on my tutorial where it shows how to change skins, your new skin should be selectable from there.

12. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

oh but i'm trying to get some new ones off of xbox-scene for XBMC.

13. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

I don't understand what your saying.

14. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

well its this site where you can download more skins on your xbox for xbmc or from evox (etc) and i downloaded one of the skins that look good but when I tryed to ftp it well it didnt show up and the file i downloaded wasnt full like the other ones already on the xbox.

15. janrocks

janrocks Guest

There you have it.. evox shins are 2 jpg or bmp files and a skin.ini file, in a folder.. XBMC skins are a huge load of widgets and buttons and all kinds of other crap.. You need to know a fair bit about the internals of XBMC to attempt to change the provided skin.. Not for n00bs, and the experienced steer clear of skinning when it's our default dash. Evox is pretty safe to play with the skins because there is a default fall back if the chosen one fails to load..xbmc and unleash just fail if the skin doesn't work, leaving you with either a black screen or an error 16-21 situation.

No disrespect, but if you need to ask basic questions about skinning a dash you don't have the know how to get a successful skin on XBMC.

Teach and Learn.

16. breala713

breala713 Member

I just got XBMC the updated one I think and I wana add it on the default menu like as soon as you turn it on you can choose it there but i got two of them on here the first is on the default screen and the second one is the one that is updated on the F:/ drive in apps and i dont want it there so how do i add it where the main menu is at?

17. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you are saying. Do you want it to load up as your starting dashboard or just as an app that is selectable from your current dashboard?

18. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

yea the second thing you said about the dash i dont want it to be a main dash but to but on the front screen.

19. yungplaya

yungplaya Member

yea and also my weather icon freezes when i click on it but the rest really dont have problems

20. FuZ3

FuZ3 Regular member

Well as long as you put it in your Apps folder then you should be able to load it from your current dashboard.