1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set deafult setting so XP would be exactly same after every reboot

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by seungwoo, Jan 13, 2008.

1. seungwoo

seungwoo Guest

Hello, I want to know how to make Windows XP to stay exactly the same every time I reboot. Thus, every time I reboot, the computer will always have the same desktop, files, and settings.
    Like computers in public libraries, or in public cafe.
    Thanks

2. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Windows always stays the same after a reboot, unless there is a program that resets the stuff every time. A very popular one is called DeepFreeze -- you can tell it's running on a computer because of the frozen computer icon in the System Tray. There are programs that you can download (check google) they will help you disable DF.

EDIT: Question misunderstood, see below.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  3. jony218

jony218 Guest

Use the free "returnil" , this program you engage on the fly. Example you startup your computer and download the latest virus definitions etc, now just press the "returnil" start button which is on the top of the computer screen and your computer goes instantly into virtual mode.

While in virtual mode nothing is written to the hard drive (everything occurs in memory) if you download a virus and open it up, any changes it makes are only in memory. If you change your desktop it occurs only in memory, if you want to try out a new program, you can load it, and run it but it's only in memory. As soon as you rebooot everything is back to normal.

The program is reliable and stable, I have it installed on 3 computers with no problems (it even works with vista). I can play the latest games while in virtual mode with no slowdown.

I have use deepfreeze also but for some reason that program erase all my passwords while in virtual mode, and you need to reboot to make changes. I prefer to boot into my real computer and go into virtual mode when I need too.

It's the best bargain out there.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_d5702.html

4. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Question misunderstood, my bad :D

But DF is still a program you can use (although it's not free). You can download a 30day trial at their website http://www.faronics.com/. You set a password, then set all the settings, files, etc. you want. Then, you go into the DF control panel, and select "Boot Frozen". When someone starts up the computer, they can change/delete whatever they want, but then when the computer is restarted again, all the settings/files go back to how you set them before.

This program works pretty well, but there are circumventions to it. However, there are circumventions to all programs like this; there will always be a loophole. Hope this helps.