1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Froasier

Froasier Member

I just tried it on my friend's Xbox too, same results. What am I doing wrong??

2. NoMustard

NoMustard Guest

I just used this thread to softmod and wanted to say thank you. I paid guy in school to mod my xbox back in 2004(never knew how he did it) and my brother always wanted it after he seen it, I got hold of a xbox over the weekend for 40 bucks and im going to surprise him for his birthday next week. Btw I used the FTP method and it took all of 10mins. Now I just need to figure out to change the hard drive and ftp some games and programs over. ;)

3. dide_101

dide_101 Member

Ok, I ccidentally chose PAL on my Region chooser program (I think it is called Enginima or something) and I screwed my xbox up It is black and white but my problem is the screen keeps on flicking I can't read anything. Any burnt image I try to run the same problem occurs the screen keeps flicking IF I could read it then I could have fixed it back to NTSC how do I fix this is there any way

My MS dash is working fine b/c I have dual booted.

Does reinstalling the dash work??

IF so how do i do that I use Splinter Cell

4. canondrop

canondrop Member

Like some people before me, I am having some trouble loading the SID zip files onto the Xbox hard drive. Details are as follows:

- I have the correct dashboard (1.00.5906.01).
    - I'm using the AR Max Xbox USB/Memory Card adaptor to transfer the files.
    - I'm using the SID files in zip format (obtained from the link on the first page of this thread) when copying them over to the Xbox memory card (the Microsoft memory card, not a 3rd party card). I'm waiting until both files have transferred to the memory card (file name and contents are displayed on the screen, I close the AR program, and then remove the memory card).
    - The Xbox recognizes the memory card and displays the files, but only gives me the option to delete the files, not to copy them.
    - I've even tried to extract the UDATA folder from the zip files, and place it in a new zip file (with the exact same name as the file I extracted it from), but come up with the same issue.

Any help on resolving this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5. jwd000

jwd000 Member

i al looking to buy one of the game s o i can do this and i was wondering if the xbox classic versions work to do this.
    it is splinter cell

thanks in advance......

6. jwd000

jwd000 Member

i think you selecting the wrong 1 you have to press right and select the one inside the rectangular shape

7. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

Nice tut!

I have a few questions though, i never softmodded a xbox before but i have read about it. Well, aren't you suppose to have a newest dashboard before doing this? Also was there patched games that won't work, i thought there was some, those greatest hit type games.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Read the first post on ths first page of this thread again, the bit about the 5960 dash files, and follow the links..

9. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

Hmmm... well then this is a great tut!! i guess i missed that dashboard thing. About the game patched thing, i did found some other tut that talked about it. But i guess you did too

"You can use any version of the original Splintercell (Classic, etc) however the other must be the original. Splintercell is the most stable and you should aim to get this. "

I got confused with that when u said original Splinter cell, and the other must be original (non- platinum hits?) Anyway, i don't think i'm going to softmod my xbox, already got it hardmodded, i was just wondering.

10. creaky

That'll be referring to the sequels of Splinter Cell, ie you can use any version of the original game, but none of the sequel discs.

11. peteacher

peteacher Member

I have 007 Agent Under Fire but I got it used at gamestop. I am not sure which version I have... can someone help me out? The number on the disc is 1448507. I checked the Mech Assault disc I have and according to the threads here, I cannot use it since the inside ring says MS02308L. Thanks in advance...

12. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

yea, i have the same mechassualt also, wont work. From what i read it was 007 and mechassault, if they say Platium Edition its patched and don't work. If its Splinter cell, i think it was never patched.

13. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

That wasn't what i was talking about, it says Splinter Cell must be the original (which means any disk of the first sequel like you said). But chuckhead said the others (Mechassault/007: Agent under fire must be original (which means the non-platium hits version) I'm just saying that it is not really clear on that part, at least for me becuase he used the word original in two ways, the first sequal, and the non-platium hits. Do you understand? My english isn't too good.

Edit: acually i have read that some Platium Hits games does work, it depends on the number on the dvd hub, but thats 2 complicated for me to remember.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. creaky

just do some googling, or Chunkhead can maybe clarify. I have seen various contradictions around the internet for 007, but with MechAssault it's apparently true that you need to check the hub code (i have only used Splinter Cell for modding, not 007 or MechAssault).

15. kitana08

kitana08 Member

I was able to softmod my 1.6 Xbox K:5838 D:5960 using SID 5.01 and SC exploit. However it would hang at the big X logo unless I remove the network cable (connected to an active LAN or via crossover) prior to booting up and plug it back as soon as the X logo and MS banner passes. Anyone aware of this issue or know of a fix? Please help

16. NateX

NateX Member

BLACK BOOT SCREEN?

OK, I prepped up for my first softmod for a couple of weeks - obtained everything I needed: AR, original SC game, necessary software files (SID 4, SC game save NTSC). I had some trouble with the AR and MU, but finally got them to work and copied the two files over to my Xbox HDD.

I followed the mod steps exactly and all was a breeze up through the almost final step of selecting Shutdown from the installer menu. I hit shutdown and the Xbox did just that, I immediately ejected SC disk and cycled the power (held down the power button on restart). The standard Xbox boot screen is seen and then it goes black...no UnleashX or MS dash at all.

I can boot with a game in and get back to the SID menu, check out the settings, go into the file manager, etc. I also tried reinstalling and everything went exactly as before including the resulting black screen.

I reviewed the step-by-step instructions and am confident I followed them exactly...twice.

Any idea what might be wrong? I thought this was an easy 10-15 minute process and I've spent hours with nothing to show for it but a black screen.

Thanks!

17. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

wow nate that's a sad sad story but you must have done something right or you would either get a dashboard error or a generic error.

Sounds to me like the xbox sees your softmod and directs it to load that dash, but the dash file that it's looking for isn't in the right place so it hangs.

Easiest way to fix this is to remod the xbox to boot C: (just to be safe) and install the dash to C:. You could always use my cheater C: located in my sig. All you have to do is replace your C: with mine. Just remember before you mess with any files on your xbox you should have a backup of your eeprom.

I'm certain that my cheater drive would fix your problem but if you want to spend time to fix the files on your xbox then more power to you.

Let me know how it goes.

18. NateX

NateX Member

Thanks for the advice, but now I'm really screwed.

First, my wireless bridge that was working just stopped. Took me a while to determine it was the AC adapter, not the router, so a replacement adapter resolved that.

I was able to FTP in to the XBOX and started copying over your cheat C drive to replace mine. All was going fine until the last two folders started to copy and then my FTP session stalled. I had to abort and of course this wasn't good. I got an error 13 on boot up and was like, "Oh, sh*t..." I read Chunkhead's troubleshooting guide which said about the only thing to do is a hotswap - doesn't sound too bad, but still a pain, especially when this softmod was supposed to take like 10 mins!

I was able to get back into SID4 with SC exploit and tried reinstalling the Evox mod (last one was UnleashX) and although that said successful, I still got the black screen on boot. Also restored the MS backup I'd taken originally, but same thing (don't even know if that would theoretically do anything). I'd hoped to be able to get back in via FTP to try again to replace C, but I can't get an IP via DHCP now. I tried static to no avail.

Looks like my only option is a hotswap which sounds like it should get me back to a "stock" XBOX so I'm back to square one...w/no mod.

Any other suggestions?

19. NateX

NateX Member

Oh, meant to ask...would a crossover cable work, or is it unlikely since I can't even get an IP assigned any longer via DHCP?

Thanks.

20. Carpiquet

Carpiquet Member

Hey, I followed these steps with installer 5.01 but all that happened after I selected "checkpoint" in the splinter cell game was my screen went black and the ring around my disk eject button started flashin red, yellow, green, red, yellow green etc. Anyone know whats wrong?

Previous to this I tried using the Deluxe installer 2.0. When I tried this, after I selected checkpoint, my xbox went to the "Xbox requires service screen" in many different languages and error code 21. Does anyone know what's wrong?

edit: I jsut tried again with version 4. This time the screen stayed black and the light went yellow. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008