1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop pop ups not stopped by google tool bar and norton system works

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by CheersMDM, Aug 16, 2004.

1. CheersMDM

CheersMDM Member

I've got both google tool bar and norton system works / antivirus / internet security and keep getting pop ups. I am getting them before I even visit a website. Any idea's please how to stop these?

I would be very greatful for any help received. Had recently installed Dr Divx and they started around the same time. Just wonder if the two are related.

Thanks in advance for any replies, greatfully received

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Installing DiVX Codec = Happily watching .avi files

Installing DiVX Player = Angrily closing pop ups and swearing at spyware

Anyway, download Ad-aware 6 and Spybot S&D, update both programs, and do a spyware scan on each. Delete what you find, and also delete the Quarantine.

If you don't use the google tool bar much, go to "Add or Remove Programs" and remove the bar, because my personal experience with it is that it causes spyware.

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

DivX Pro used to install Gator/GAIN if you chose the Pro version that was ad supported instead of buying a copy. I don't know if they still do that or not. Dr Divx uses that for encoding so it may be related to that. Search for ways to remove Gator on google and you should get a lot of responses, but if you do remove it then the DivX Pro codec might not work properly for encoding.

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

When you install DiVX Player, you get two check boxes, one to install the codec, the other to install the Player. Go figure.

As for trying to remove Gator from your machine, it's a total bitch, and in my previous experience with DiVX Player installed, Gator keeps coming back. (Maybe DiVX Player keeps installing it >_< )

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

For me I used to have that google tool bar with a popup blocker and still ton's of popup's kept right on coming. I asked the same question you did in trying to stop all the popup's and I got this.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

This webb browser is excellent, ever since I installed Firefox I have I have had 0 popup's and it speeds up my webb searches. Try and and give an update.

No doubt! but do a google search on how to remove Gator/GAIN. You might have to go into your registry though. So make sure you know what your doing.

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

One thing that can also stop a lot of pop ups is PeerGuardian. It also keeps out some people from accesing your machine... *points at RIAA*