1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i am desperate for help. 3 days of hell

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DjSrpski, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

ok so i bought a sony DRU710A dvd double layer burner. i have been trying to figure out for days on how to backup dvd's. i have followed so many guides and they have proven useless. i am using philips dvd-r. i tried with nero, dvd shrink, dvd encryptor, dvd2one,copytodvd, and no luck at all. it starts encoding or whatever and then when it comes to burning it wont start. it always ends up at failed process. i try to burn at 4x. i am running compaq amd athlon 800mhz, internal 25 gig, and external 120. im savcing on the external. i will try to do that with the internal but i dont think it will work., plz someone give me ideas plz help me i am very desperate and very pissed off. thank you in advance.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Could be your media, have you tried either ritek or verbatim? Have you disabled anti-virus, what anti-virus have you, is DMA enabled? Are you multi-tasking?
    Iwould recommend saving to internal to start with, but you will need at least 10 gig of free space. Is your external USB1 or 2? If it is 1 then you will have probs transferring the data at such a slow speed.
    How much memory have you got? What OS are you using?
    Have you de-fragged lately?
    A little bit more info would help us to solve your probs.
    Pulsar

3. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

im going tomorow to buy dvd+R instead of dvd-R. i have windows 98 SE, and i just reformatted the computer when i bought the buner. i have 256ram. i havent installed antivirus yet. the external is 2.0 i am a newb so i dont know wht multitasking is. im sorry im nw to this. but i really want this stuff to work.
    thanks

steve

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Any chance of getting XP, I do not Know 98SE?
    I don't know if you have enough memory for the job.
    Multi-tasking is when you are reading/burning & you use the computer to do something else on it. If you are STOP!!! You need to get the correct MAKE of media NOT format! If you buy cheap media, you WILL get bad results. USB2 should suffice for data transfer. Are you using FATS file system or NTFS? If you are using FATS you may have probs due to the max file size that is available with that system.
    I would really recommend getting XP, you will get a lot fewer probs. Win98 is not the best OS to have.
    Pulsar

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

By the way, can you burn cds? Have you had ANY success at burning at all?

6. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

i will install xp tonight. i havebnt tried burning at all yet but i will try like a music cd right now. i do not multitask. and it uses the FAT system. like i said i will go tomrow to buy verbtim or ritek like you said. because all the stores are closed now. anymore advice?

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I really think XP will solve all your probs. NTFS is a far superior file system. I can't really give you any more advice until you put in XP.
    Shrink combined with nero is a killer act. Along with good media, you should have your first burn in a matter of minutes.
    Ensure you enable DMA in your BIOS, look in IDE peripherals, I think!
    Once you have your XP installed, give your phillips media a whirl.
    "It might just do it captain!"
    It's 3am where I am! So I am considering hitting the hay!
    Just leave a thread when you get sorted, or not! Whichever suits!
    If it does work let us know!
    Pulsar

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

PS, I will be looking out for you!!

9. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

thanks man i appreciate it
    im installin xp right now

10. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

ok i jus installed xp and im burning an audio cd right now and its working. so yea. i guess il try burning the dvd again through shrink, and see what happens. maybe you can gimme ur sn for AIM or something pulsar so we can talk there. but ok ill talk to you tomorow and thanks for ur help man i really am appreciating it. lets hope we can get this POS to work thogh. gnight

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am willing to help you as much as I possibly can.
    One thing though, what does this mean please;
    "ur sn for AIM"
    Sorry but I am an old giffer who is not up to date with the lingo!!!
    Kind Regards,
    Pulsar

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  12. Kmate

Kmate Guest

Gday cob, im new too and Ive had a bit of grief as well. Ive got some advice that might help dont buy ritek or verbatim if your looking to have a hasle free go at this check the dvd-r media forum and choose some GOOD media. it just eliminates a few problems and questions from the start , ive spent the last two days trying different software to eradicate a problem which is probably shitty media. i am yet to get to the shop to try again with new media . So again get the top stuff for starters itll help ,peace Kmate.

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Kmate
    You tell this person to buy good media,and not to buy ritek or verbatim(2 of my favorite choices of media)so in your opinion...what is good media?
    my choices in order would be...
    1.taiyo yuden
    2.verbatim
    3.ritek
    4.the rest

14. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

ok i installed xp, and i updated the firmware or whatever you call it. and then i burned a succesful backup. except on my dvd player the movie was choppy, but on a differant dvd player it works fine with no problem. any ideas on how to make the backp not choppy. and pulsar that meant if you use AOL instant messenger whats your screename. ok thanks everyone for ur help, but anymore ideas plz tell me. oh yea by the way. it ook almost 4 hours for it to burn on 4x any ideas on how to burn faster. thanks

steve

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

wow thats slowww
    check and make sure your data transfer is in dma and not pio mode:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

You might have compatibility problems with your standalones check it out with this guide:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

16. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

yea everything is set to DMA mode. but thanks anyway

17. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hello,

Sounds like hell all right.

Use CloneDVD2 & AnyDVD you can down load these from
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/ and try them out. Make shure you have at least 256meg ram free for best results.

Cheers

Mark

18. DjSrpski

DjSrpski Member

ok well i can finally say that i have succesfully burned 2 dvds. bad boys II and da ali g show. so for everyoen thank you for ur help/ i really do apprediate it. i start out with dvd shrink. then encode it then after it is done it goes to dvd decryptor and burns it on the dvd. for the whole thing it take agbout 2 to 3 hours. ok thank you again. gnight

steve

19. Kmate

Kmate Guest

Well Ive had some bad burns with ritek g05 Ithink theres better. Verbatim I new i had an argument but I forgot it LOL.