1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can burn ,just not dvds???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rockyjack, Aug 21, 2007.

1. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

After all these problems trying to burn movie on my dvd player, I tryed a music mp3 disc I made a long time ago.It just burned perfectly fine???????Now what???

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, is it actually a DVD burner? Sorry to stater the obvious, but a CD burner won't burn DVDs!

3. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

Sorry I had another post on this subject somewhere else,but being a newbie,I'm kind of lost in these forums.I have a lg 20x dvd burner.I had a liteon soh-1213s dvd burner.For some strange reason,when I try to burn a movie,my computer,monitor,everything shuts off just like I killed the power.I'm using nero 7 ultra enhanced.Previously burned fine on vista.Had a very serious problem recently,virus related,reformatted my hdd, and installed a fresh version of xp.Everything works awesome,surfing,3d gaming all day long.Try to burn a dvd now though, and my pc shuts down after I install blank media.I tried a music cd last night ,burnt fine.I don't know what to do?????Threw out about 15 dvds already.Can anyone please help me.Psu and temp are fine.Software seems fine???????????Help!!!!!!!!!Ps-Thought my liteon turned to junk,so bought the new lg, but same problem!!!!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try:

using a different IDE cable
    using a different IDE port
    Updating your ASPI driver

If none of those work, you may have a faulty power supply or motherboard.

5. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

I used aspichkr and it said aspi not installed.I installed and that was successfull.Tried to burn movie,pc shut off again.Burnt my nero program onto cd using my cdburner no problem.Uninstalled nero 7 , incase it was the program.Installed nero that came with my new lg burner,again pc shut down.Uninstalled that program,installed ashampoo burning program.Just tried it, and guess what??Once I put in blank dvd, and started to burn,pc shut off.I am stumped?????

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When you say shut down, does it turn off completely, or does the screen go blank and not respond to inputs, but the base unit stay on? That's kind of important.

7. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

Everything turns off , all drives , fans , monitor etc.Just like I reached down and turned it off manually.Nothing remains on.Have to restart the pc with the power button.A couple of times it never restarted right away.Tried a few times before it powered back on.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It sounds like there's an issue with your power supply or motherboard. One that's probably only going to be resolved with replacement, buy a good power supply (not some cheapo one, get something like a Thermaltake TR2 500W) and then see if the problem's resolved. If not, then you may need to change your motherboard.

9. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

I had a thermaltake tr2 430watt that seems to work good.I put in a cheaper but 550 watt psu today to try, and same thing happened.

10. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

Also tried different software.Did a ram test.Everything ok.Reloaded vista,which was the last time my dvd worked properly.Same result.Bought new mb and cpu.Try that next weekend.

11. rockyjack

rockyjack Member

Saw another thread on this site where a guy changed his dma mode in bios from 4 to 3 for dvd.I just burnt a movie fine???????Should I just leave it or purchase that asus board,which runs on nforce chipset, same as my msi platinum k9n I'm running now????Thanx guys

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if it works, I wouldn't argue!