1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't boot up my PC, and can't reinstall Windows. Help!?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Myth0logy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Myth0logy

Myth0logy Member

I couldn't get my computer to start. The opening screen shows but then after a few seconds into the boot it just stops - a blank screen.

I hit reset then it then gave me various options to start it - such as safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal configuartion, start with last good configuration.

I tried them all. None work - I cannot boot my PC.

Strating in any of the safe modes it just lists a lot of drivers.files and there location C:/Windows...name.extension but doens't load.

I figured there was something wrong with the booting - perhaps a corrupted file so decided to try and format or repair.

When I interupt setup from the start it allows me to choose what to boot from - default is harddrive but can choose extrenal device, floppy or CD-Rom. Usually when I format I insert the Windows disc and choose CD-Rom then its easy, no problems.

The problem is when I insert the windows disc it does sort of work, lists drivers on the bottom that it's loading then says "setup is starting Windows". The problem is - that's as far at it gets. Tried it more than once and it get's stuck there.

So right now, I have a system I can't boot and I can't use the windows disc to reinstall or repair Windows either.

It's running Windows xp 32 bit. It has a CD/DVD Rom drive and a floppy disc drive.
    I can burn DVDs/CDs on the PC I am writing this from but can't make floppy discs. I also have some external usb hard drives.

What do think the problem is, what do you suggest I do?

I found a guide for making a disc which boots to DOS. Would there be any advantage / possible way of fixing the problem by booting to DOS? ehow.com/how_5891570_make-dos-boot-cd.html

PS. I bought the PC in question for £50 - it's actually not bad and has been working fine for 2 years. If I take it to a shop they might charge me £50 or more to fix it!

2. APREx

APREx Member

When you start your computer press the key that allows you to go to the BIOS.
    At the BIOS reset to default settings and change the boot order to your optical drive then go ahead and exit saving changes.
    On another computer go ahead and download Hirens Boot CD (its free)
    Burn the IMAGE file to a CD
    Try running MBRFix and Bootfix and see if you are able to load up windows.
    If not use Mini Windows XP and try some of the virus scanners to see if malware is preventing a boot up.
    Next try a repair install for Windows.
    If all else fails, you can backup everything using Mini Windows XP and reformat.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011