1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't get my computer to recognize my VCR

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by NluvWPat, Jan 19, 2005.

1. NluvWPat

NluvWPat Guest

Ok Ok Ok, I know I am totally stupid...but we bought this machine and the sales guy told us we could just hook up the VCR and go...well it doesn't recognize it..it says device not connected...does this computer come with a TV card in it? do I hook up my patch cable to the front or the back? I've tried both...do I use Click to DVD or Giga Pocket or Windows Movie Maker? I am so lost and at my wits end. I am trying to back up VHS tapes onto DVD...and these are recorded tv shows and home videos. Does my VCR have to be a Sony too? Can someone help a freaking blonde please????

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

First of all, you no doubt have a capture card in the computer you purchased. You need to first read the manual to see if it tells you how to connect the VCR to the capture card and how to have the software recognize it.

Most software that comes with capture cards, has setting options which let you select the right one, depending on how your VCR is connected to the card.

I would try to get help from the people who sold you the computer.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005