1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't keep up with progress..... AGP Vs PCI-X

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ohjiro, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ohjiro

Ohjiro Guest

Hi i'm kinda new to the forum, I signed up so I could reply to some-one else's problem.....but now I've got a problem.

I got my first real job (long term bla bla bla) as a system administrator. So I thought it was time for a new computer, since my current computer is a geforce2, 1.4 Intel with 382MB RIMM... .. .

So I went looking a round not impressed by our 2.8 Intels @ work.

What should I buy a new intel 775 with PCI-X or something like that or good old fasioned 478 with agp?

I hope some-one can help I'm lost.

BTW:
    Usage : Gaming, Video, Music, Windows.
    Proccesor : Pref. Intel unless Real improvement with AMD
    Memory : Used to use 800MB RAMBUS so the faster the better.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the intel 775 is replacing the 478 & the pcix is supposedly replacing agp so is up to you but don't buy name brand computer buy/build a clone as you can upgrade a clone better than a namebrand system

3. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Like ddp said, 775 is replacing the 478 socket so if you want more headroom in replacing your CPU later on get the 775.

As far as AGP goes, I don't think now we even fill the 2.1GB line that AGP provides much less doubling it with PCIe. Albeit, technology is moving and changing and if you, again, want headroom for future cards I'd go with PCIe. Although I wouldn't worry about not being able to find an AGP card in the near future. They should be around for a good while.

4. Ohjiro

Ohjiro Guest

thanx that helps alot, just one last question:
    What the best pci express card? (cost/performance wise)