1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question I don't know what standalone settop DVD (BD,etc.) player I need...

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Steve83, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Steve83

Steve83 Member

I've had several DVD players in the past, and none of them really stood out as good OR bad. Most-recently, I've been using an old Samsung DVD-1080P9/XAA region-free single-slot connected by old composite video & analog audio to a big flat-screen, and it has done OK. But it has gotten progressively more-sensitive to scratched/dirty DVDs to the point that it won't play a clean disk with no visible scratches. We had to watch the last 5 minutes of Interstellar last night in the tub on the wall-mount TV/DVD combo there.

Before this, I think we were using a noisy, over-complicated JVC XV-FA95GD 7-disk changer. I don't remember any specific problems with it, but when I pulled it out of its box last night, it powered up but output NO video or audio through any ports.

So I've been browsing Amazon & eBay, and the hardware forum here, but nothing is organized or current enough for me to find what I'm looking for: a simple high-quality DURABLE player with hi-res, progressive, DVD upconversion, a variety of outputs (at least composite & HDMI), quick boot, quick read, & support for a lot of disk/data formats. I don't care about karaoke, BD/HDDVD, disk changers, Pandora or whatever the other apps are; but I'd favor USB/SD input, networking (at least for firmware, if not NetFlix/Prime), small chassis, & a remote with less than 40 buttons. IDK what Toslink & SCART are, so IDK if I need them. But if they're available with features like no-PUOPs, region-free, easy ripping to the USB/SD ports, smartphone/BT/WiFi interface, NTSC/PAL playback/output; that would interest me.

I don't really have a budget, but I'm not spending $250. I don't know that I need to go over $150.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

May not need to spend any money,unless there's a particular thing your doing that requires a player you can use the computer,it will also store all your movie collection,more importantly computer dvd drives are better at reading discs when they get scratched,however there's no need for a disc if all are stored on the comp

edit: or external hdd

3. Steve83

Steve83 Member

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. Note what forum I posted in.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I don't think you'll find much to choose in North America.
    Most of the players with advanced features seem to be in the EU.
    There's a database of sorts here that you can try.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers