1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i hate windows vista; how do i downgrade

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by draewilly, Mar 26, 2007.

1. draewilly

draewilly Member

i bought a new laptop for college yesterday its a sony vaio fe series and it has vista installed on it. since xp was never installed there is no easy way to downgrade is there? at this point ive only had the computer for a day and a half, will vista get better? i just hate how everything looks and feels i set everything to classic mode but that only helps in a few places everything still looks like vista. everytime i want to run anything it asks if its ok, how do i turn this off, if i clicked on it i want it to run. and when ever i put folders in my documents it moves them to c;/user/drae/new folder instead of c:/user/drae/documents/new folder. its like im logged on a restricted account. im not opposed to downloading a non-legal version of xp. any help is appreciated
    draewilly

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

To answer your second question, well, it seems unlikely, but time may tell *i doubt it though*
    As for how to install XP, that's easy.
    Download and burn Hiren's BootCD, use one of it's partition managers to format the HD, and install windows XP.
    Wherever you get that is up to you, but don't ask for help with pirated copies of it here, you'll only get flamed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  3. draewilly

draewilly Member

thanks ive seen that mistake made a few times i can find it.

4. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Yea windows vista is really buggy right now. but theres no real way to downgrade as of now. If you buy windows xp you should just be able to install it over it. i think theres an option to format the drive and start install xp. (if you install xp make sures theres no important files on the hd that you want)

5. stan789

stan789 Member

maybe you could go buy iolo Drive Scrubber, that will wipe the hard drive so that away there is no recoverable files, then go buy the what ever windows disk you want say windows 98,2000, or xp, then make sure you get the one that says for new pc`s not an upgrade then do a cleen install, but the only bad thing and i had this trouble before, maybe some one can help, when i did a cleen installof xp on my notebook all my drivers were missing no sound, not even a clear screen,no drivers at all, so maybe some one can tell me why that happened, anyway, what i just said might help

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  6. Davidowen

Davidowen Member

hey man that thing that is annoying you on vista where it asks permission to do everything is called user account control or UAC you can shut it off then restart your cpu and it wont do that anymore, vista is allright once you figure out how to shut off all the annoying protection, i would tell you how but it took me like 5 hours to find all the annoying security things and shut them off and i dont think i could do it again if i tried, but now that its all off i actually like vista. so make sure you shut off the UAC and I personally shut off windows defender too because it can cause issues

7. mar1us

mar1us Guest

don't know if this happens to you also but i turned off my UAC and windows defender but every time i get updates from microsoft the friggin things turn back on. very annoying!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Vista uses hidden files and folders.. Unless you have ultimate you don't even apparently have access to the backup/restore files it makes to delete them.

Be careful with a laptop drive. It may have a system partition labelled something like * ..Whatever you do If you see a partition like that (small 20-50MB) leave it alone.

9. moezyvl

moezyvl Member

If I may, did the laptop come with Business or Ultimate; if so you have the legal right to downgrade your OS to XP Pro at no cost. All you have to do is install XP Pro, and call the 800 # for a key. explain you're downgrading and they will give you a key for installation.