1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a Couple Questions about the Iphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by rehman200, Jun 22, 2008.

1. rehman200

rehman200 Regular member

1) I'm looking into getting an Iphone 3G, but I have a problem. I heard that you can jailbreak the old iphone and you'd be able to unlock it, or something like that, does anyone know if you can do the same with Iphone 3G or do we have to wait for it come out before we will find out?

My BIGGEST Question...

2) So, if I buy my Iphone (3G) from EBAY, with no contract, prepaid, etc... Would I be able to unlock the Iphone (by jailbreaking or whatever), or Iphone 3G (if able to), and than use my CINGULAR sim card I already have? BY THE WAY, the Sim Card does say 3G on it. The reason for this is because I dont want to extend my contract and I don't want to pay a minimum of $70.00 every month, I just want to keep my current plan with CINGULAR.

3) So, if I am able to do that, is there any option in the Iphone to diable using any usage of internet besides by WIFI, so it does not cost me extra, or does it ask you if you want to use WIFI, or however else the data is transmitted to the Iphone?

4)Exactly what is the DATA PLAN for, meaning what does it cover?

5) If I use WIFI to go on the internet or whatever, there won't be any other charges to my bill, right?

Can you please number your answers, THANKS, I appreciate it, this makes it a lot easier for me.

2. rehman200

rehman200 Regular member

Just to be clearer, I am going to use CINGULAR, I'm just going to take out my 3G SIM CARD from my old phone and put it into the IPHONE.

3. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

I wish someone would answer this.

4. dragonmg

dragonmg Member

(DISCLAIMER)I am speaking ONLY from iPhone 2G experience.

1) Yes, WinPwn will unlock iPhone version 2.0.1 (what I am running), and has been reported to unlock 2.0.2 (I haven't tried it yet).

2) Yes, you can use your Cingular SIM card in the iPhone. I "traded up" from an AT&T Tilt (and my wife from a AT&T PALM Centro) to iPhones I bought off of Craigslist. Worked flawlessly (but I never tried just putting in the card and trying to connect. I Jailbroke/Unlocked/Activated right off the get-go).

3. I can't find a setting to turn off Data completely, but you CAN turn off Data Roaming. If you leave WiFi set to on, then you will automatically default to the WiFi signal (if you have access to it, of course). However, there ARE third party apps through Cydia or Installer 4 to toggle data on/off.

4. Data Plan is for the data you consume over the network. Because I had the AT&T business plan, I got unlimited data no matter what, but YMMV. It covers pretty much anything, BUT, be advised, you can't shop at the iTunes store unless you are connected by WiFi.

5. If you use WiFi and ONLY WiFi, you shouldn't incur any data charges on your cellphone bill.

Hope this helps. Remember, I am speaking STRICTLY from the perspective of an iPhone 2G owner. Other than the 3G and GPS, though, I don't think there's a huge difference. Software is software.