1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a problem!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by picman47, Apr 11, 2005.

1. picman47

picman47 Member

Hello all,
    My problem is with some dvd-r's that I used to record some movies off the tv set with a dvd recorder. I copied them before I learned that you had to finalize a disc before you could go any further concering another dvd player. Something happen before I finalized the dvd's. now I cannot even play them on the recorder that they were made from. It just tries to read the dvd's but never gets any further than that. Is their any way that i can retrieve the contents?
    the recorder is a Sears model. I have nero 6.6 burner & Clone dvd.I could at one time watch the contents of these dvd's on the recorder machine. what happen? I also have a Sony burner that is double layered.use winxp

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What brand of blank media did you use to record those tv programs? Some of the cheap/poor quality media may degrade in about 6 months or less and won't play back. This could be your problem.

Jerry

3. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Post the specifics on the DVD recorder too. Any model numbers would be helpful.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi picman47, welcome to aD,

Try using DVD Decrypter. If you need to use any of the features that DVD Shrink has you can always open the ripped files (or ISO) with it afterwards. When using DVD Shrink to pickup an ISO image, go to File then Open Disc Image you then can burn to disc in either the VOB format OR as an ISO.

Most DVD Recorders use +VR media, some are -VR which you should be able to rip in the ISO mode.

NOTE:
    Though the make and model of your recorder isn't of much use to us if you can check the owner's manual, it would help to know if you are recording DVD+VR or DVD -VR format OR is it something else.
    Also check to see if you are using DVD+R/RW, Generally, if the discs are decent you shouldn't have to finalize them.

We'll wait on your findings,

I hope that is of some help,

Cheers,

Pete

5. picman47

picman47 Member

thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately I still cannot retrieve the info on the disc. I have tried dvd decrypter, clone dvd iso buster. And they tell me it is an empty disk, or that the volume cannot be read. I guess i will just have to live with some coasters!!
    thanks
    picman47

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No insult intended, but are you sure you are looking at a disc that you have burned to?

I ask, because I remember I had that trouble, and later found that I was trying to read an empty disc.................

Also, the standalone recorder during the end process, writes the directory information to the disc, before finalising it.
    If that information was not written, the nothing will read it, as there is no reference to where the data is located on the disc.

Have you actually tried to finalise it in the standalone?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Heh, heh, for lack of a map a town was lost . . .

So very, very true -