1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i keep hearing different so please help me

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wannabe, Mar 24, 2003.

1. wannabe

wannabe Guest

i ran across this site a few days ago cause i was searching for info about dvd burners. well my question is i DONT have a chip in my ps2. But i wanna know if i get a dvd burner can i play my dvd movies without a chip?? dvd-r or dvd+r? i have model number scph-39001 thanks

2. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Yes you can play DVD-R (thats what I have)... don't know about DVD+R because I don't have a burner for that.

sirmugen

3. joblow

joblow Guest

Some people said that only new versions of ps2 can play dvd+r. But I can't tell you if it is true because I'm using dvd-r.

4. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

just to confuse matters!, i have played a dvd+ r in a non chipped XBOX and it worked perfectly. Dont' know about PS2, but can't imagine Sony would let another competitor get one over them!

5. wannabe

wannabe Guest

i hope i actually get a clear answer cause i wanna buy a dvd-burner in 2 weeks but i wanna make sure it works!!!!! oh i found out i have version 7 of ps2 if that helps

6. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

If you wanna kill two birds with one stone, get a burner that supports both +R & -R, that way you can try both media to see which you'll perfer, -R is cheaper than +R.

Good Luck

sirmugen

7. joblow

joblow Guest

8. steveblue

steveblue Guest

i HAVE BURNED A MOVIE ONTO DVD+R AND IT WORKED FINE ON A NON MODDED PS2, TRIED DVD+RW BUT DIDN'T WORK.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

wannabe,

PS2 plays DVD-r no problems at all.

If you do encounter a problem, there is a real fault somewhere.

HomerJ

10. wannabe

wannabe Guest

see i also need to know about +r cause well i might not be able to save up to the price of the sony drive

11. procode

procode Guest

Isn't +R Sony's baby ?
    If so, it'll definitely play.
    You may pay less for the drive M8, but you'll soon exceed that as you pay for blank discs.
    Typical costs are DVD-R 50p, DVD+R £4. DVD-RW £1-00p, DVD+RW £15-00p. I know, I've paid all these prices. The +R stuff, for a friend with more money than sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2003
  12. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

I believe -R/-RW is Sony's baby...but in a few years its gonna be all about blu-ray anyway.

To answer your question wannabe what i've gathered is that the older model PS2's have trouble playing the +R/+RW format becuz of laser concerns...people with this first ver. PS2's can get their lasers replaced or adjusted so they will play the +R/+RW media but i believe the number you gave is a ver. 7 PS2. So your's shouldn't have any problem playing the +R/+RW media at all. Oh...and i would definetly save up for the Sony DVD burner....i have the DRU-500a and it is fabulous...best "toy" i purchased all year!!

13. mrmont

mrmont Guest

well i found that good media is the key coz i used bulkpaq dvd-r 25 for £12 and the ps2 didnt like them at all, spend about £20 for 25 infiniti discs no problems at all

14. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

wannabe: Never, ever buy a drive that can only burn +R/+RW. If you can't afford to buy/don't want to buy a dual-format drive, buy -R/-RW only. Blanks are about 50% cheaper and as everybody stated, -R works on all PS2 models, +R/+RWs don't.

15. wannabe

wannabe Guest

wow u guys have helped me out, i guess i save for the sony drive it's not that i cant afford it i'm jus not patient i'd order online for cheaper but no credit card oh well another 2-3 weeks for my dvds to start being made