1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a little help with motherboard....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mdtplus4, Nov 17, 2003.

1. mdtplus4

mdtplus4 Member

Hi guys, I pulled my heatsink off to cleaned it and when I reinstalled it my screwdriver slipped and hit the mb. I dont see any damage but the pc wont boot up. I get the green light on the mb but no beeps. I pulled all my cards out and unplugged the drives and pulled the heatsink and started the pc. The thermal gel started to melt and smoke within a couple of seconds.

My questions are:
    Did I fry my mobo?
    And should my processor get that hot that fast? I think all my specs are listed in my profile or signature. I have enogh money for a new mobo but not a processor too. But I'd hate to buy the mobo and find out its the processor. I need your help guys, thanks!
    Mark

2. mser

mser Guest

One thing for shure is that you fried your processor when removing the heatsink and turn it on with out it.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

No. I can run my system all the way into boot and start doing stuff (although not much)without its HSF even attatched (hehe i was bored). Of course you have the older Palomino chip which is is much more of a heat bag than the Bartons/Tbreds. Still, it shouldnt be that bad (I had a Palomino XP2100 and it booted without HSF although it damn near overheated as soon as i booted hehe).

You can always goto a smaller computerstore and test out the CPU on a mobo and then you will know for sure. :)