1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice on RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DopeFreak, Mar 15, 2005.

1. DopeFreak

DopeFreak Regular member

My computer is really slow. the model is HP Pavilion 8754. I checked out www.archmemory.com for the type of ram i need to get. This is the type (128MB PC100 SDram CL3 Non Parity, 100 mhz, 3.3V,168 Pin DIMM, 16 Meg x 64- Major Brand) For the RAM to work on my computer does all of the stuff in this have to be the same or can i get other RAMS that will work too. I do not want to order RAM but if i have to i will. Does it matter if i just get one 128MB RAM and add it on to my computer which has a 64MB RAM, or will i have technical difficulties?

Any help would be appreciated, Thx

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

HP Pavilion 8754 has a Celeron 668Mhz and can be equipped with 512MB Ram --in 2 slots.

They are very temperamental computer when you try to use jobber components , best you stick with HP memory sticks available on the net at a reasonable price.
    A good source if you are in the US is here :-
    http://www.advancedcomputech.com/hp5.htm

You can add 128 with the existing one you have but for extra cash you can get a 256 MB that will at least fill one slot to its capacity.

Is it gonna speed up your PC... a little ! Presently the programs you are using have to rely on your pagefile.sys to operate -- means writing to your HD and transferring data to it as you go along. -- A slow process !

However today's program are more and more involved and do require resources from a PC ; if you just want a Pc to surf the web and run minor applications , it may be worth it to invest a few dollars to upgrade that Ram.

Good Luck !