1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I NEED HELP, PC WONT GO ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by joshont, Feb 24, 2007.

1. joshont

joshont Regular member

i have a dell dimension 2400, and my friend gave me a casing that he didnt need after all, so i try transferring all the parts to the new casing, when i do that, i start up my computer and everything goes on but there is nothing on the monitor, basically the computer just turns on and nothing happens, i tried ejecting the disc drives and those dont open either, i tried taking it apart again and looking for a problem, the only thing i found wrong was my processor wasnt completely in all the way, so i got a knife and straightened all the pins and it fit back in the slot where it belongs, then i put the heatsink back on top, then i was thinking that the problem had been solved, i turn on my computer, and the same thing happens again................does anyone know what i did wrong???? i rather get help and try to do it myself than pay for repair, any help is appreciated :(

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You probably fried your CPU.
    I take it i don't have to explain what you do next, right ?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sad to say, That should read "I had a Dell Dimension 2400". Now you have a Dell case and some disk drives (if you're lucky).

Did you move the Dell PSU to the new case, or use the PSU that was in the case? I suspect the latter. Sadly, if so, I think you have likely killed not just your cpu, but the entire motherboard and everything on it.

The web is littered with stories about people who have either fried their Dell motherboard by connecting it to a standard ATX PSU, or fried their Dell PSU by connecting it to a standard ATX motherboard.

Since 1998, most Dell models have used specially modified Intel supplied ATX motherboards with custom wired power connectors. Of course they also have custom power supplies that duplicate the non-standard pinout of the motherboard power connectors.

Here's the trap - only the pinout is non-standard, the connectors look like and are keyed the same as is dictated by true ATX. Mixing either a normal ATX board with a Dell supply or a normal ATX supply with a Dell board is a recipe for silicon toast. How do you like your fried chips, medium or well done?

Some Dells, made after 2002, mainly the top of the line models, are believed to use standard ATX wiring. The Dimension 2400 is NOT one of these!

They give NO WARNING about this. The only way most people find out is when they flick the switch and see the smoke or nothing works and they get that sinking feeling in the stomach, and that light feeling in the wallet.

People in the industry say there is no technical reason for this, it is just to lock customers into buying replacement motherboards or PSUs from Dell, at Dell prices.

So the lessons are:-

1. Don't buy a Dell PC.
    2. Don't buy a Dell PC.
    3. Don't buy a Dell PC.
    4. If, sadly, you end up stuck with Dell equipment, and you want to swap stuff around, match a Dell motherboard with a Dell PSU and a standard ATX PSU with a standard ATX motherboard.

Dell PCs may be OK in offices, schools, etc, or for Grandma, where nobody but Dell service personnel will ever open the case, but for anybody who might want to fool around inside they are BAD NEWS.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  5. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

yea sad to say like the others you have probally at the the very least fried your cpu you may wana consider droping like 50-100bucks depending on the place to get your pc checked out and have them tell you what if anything is busted and then you can start replacing pieces as nessisary

6. elokito

elokito Regular member

after stating the obvious (dnt buy dell) knife+pc=HELL NO

7. joshont

joshont Regular member

fack!!!!! any recommendations on a pc for under $500 (im jobless......and cheap) i was thinking of buying another pc anyways since my pc sucked and was extremely slow (256mb RAM :( ) and i always hate the way they looked but thanks for the info, better than having to pay someone to tell me computers a gonner

8. joshont

joshont Regular member

yay it works again, all i had to do was plug in something

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What did you have to plug in? Come on, we need to know!

10. fgamer

fgamer Guest

Man you just can't ask someone for help, lead them on with your storie(s) then say "yay it works again" without giving us a resonablbe explanation/conclusion as to what remedy was used.

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Yeah right, he should get a ban for being a tease.

12. joshont

joshont Regular member

whatever dude, all i had to do was plug in the fan with all the wires that plug into the cd/hard drives, dont need to get all lame

13. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

As for being lame, we weren't the ones who had to post on here because we forgot to plug a wire in.

14. fgamer

fgamer Guest

LOL... I agree, he's in no position to call anyone lame. If anything he's a lamer for not knowing that wires need to be plugged in for anything to work...

15. joshont

joshont Regular member

whatever man, these forums are mainly used to get information and help, and i asked for help and getting comments like "Yeah right, he should get a ban for being a tease." just cause i didn't go back and tell everyone how it was fixed, isn't something that should be said

16. fgamer

fgamer Guest

You need to learn how to comprehend the difference between someone being sarcastic and serious. When he said "Yeah right, he should get a ban for being a tease", he was being sarcastic so calm down it's not that serious...sheesh!!

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

knock it off.

18. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Actually, I was not intending being sarcastic. I was being gently humorous. As to the intention I had when I said about being a "tease". Imagine it this way.

You are one of a bunch of guys that are crazy about cars. (I was like this in my teens.) Quite a few nights of the week you all hang out, lets say in your pop's garage, and you chew the fat over some beers. You mainly talk about transmissions and race cars and gearboxes and you joke around. You all have cars or motorcycles that you tinker with. One thing you all love is unravelling a problem. One of the guys has a problem with his -- let's say -- ignition. he can't get the engine to run since he did some work on it.

What does he need to fix? What should he check? The garage boys rack their brains! Someone says the coil, another guy says check the timing. One guy says his dad said check the plugs. The guy who knows about ignition says "You can't put a Chevy coil in a Pontiac". Every couple of days our friend shows up and says "Still won't run". One day he turns up in the car! Engine throbbing away, sounds great! So all the guys say "What was it? What was wrong?" and he just smiles and says, "Oh it was something I forgot".

So of course all his friends say, "Tell us! You big tease!" They maybe call him a few jokey names, you know what kids are like, but they mean no harm. It is part of friendship. Like in a frat movie.

So I hope you understand where I was coming from, and I hope the person who felt insulted will forgive me, and I feel sad that I got the reaction that I did.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007