1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by v2freak, Feb 23, 2007.

1. v2freak

v2freak Member

I hope this is the right forum!

I've got a few questions about hard drives. I have a bunch of small drives that I'd like to sell off in favor of 1 larger unit. The reason is that I hate having to switch between drives, trying to find where I saved a specific file. My first question is if anyone knows a good place to sell used electronics (other than eBay!) or and my second question is if anyone knows anything about RAID? At this point, I have two choices: sell off the small drives or try to add them up. I've only heard of RAID and I've tried to read about it, but everytime I do, I get a huge headache.

I'd consider myself a mediocre user with computers. I'll admit that my knowledge of hardware is extremely limited, but I try. Thanks for any and all help!

2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

if the hdds are really small there probally isnt much of a market for them... since sites like newegg sell most harddrives pretty cheap...so maybe your better off putting them in a raid i dono.

3. v2freak

v2freak Member

I'm not sure what's considered small. I have 1 256MB flash drive, 1 1GB drive, 1 40GB drive and 1 80GB drive

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

probably let the 1gb drive alone, now about raid there r lots of types of raid, 1 type is raid0 it merges 2 hd and it acts like 1 only prob is that if the 1 hd is bigger than the other the biggest one will act like the smallest

ex size=2*min (40gb,80gb)
    =2*40gb
    =80gb

now theres another thing called jbod that it merges all ure hd into 1 so 40gb+80gb=120gb

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  5. v2freak

v2freak Member

Thanks elokito. Is RAID difficult to set up and obtain?

6. elokito

elokito Regular member

no when u start ure pc (if ure motherboard supports raid) there should b an option telling u about raid configuration

7. v2freak

v2freak Member

I'm sorry, I know my ignorance on the topic is taxing, but I still don't understand exactly what RAID and JBOD are. Are they devices that you add onto hardware, are they software, are they even accessible to the public etc?

8. elokito

elokito Regular member

look they r options that r built into the motherboard its not hardware its more like a software buil into the motherboard when u start ure pc check to c if there is an option to set them up in raid since some motherboard support raid while older ones dont

9. v2freak

v2freak Member

Thanks, would that be under BIOS?