1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i thought huffyuv211 was lossless cos its coming out pants for me!

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by badboy187, Oct 16, 2003.

1. badboy187

badboy187 Member

i got the huffyuv codec today cos i read it was supposed to be lossless so i was gonna capture using that codec with virtual dub and then maybe compress with divx 5.1 anyway im still getting really bad quality using that codec i cant understand it can anyone help cheers

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

(1) It is almost universally guranteed that there are no lossless video codecs.
    (2) What is your capture bitrate? Ramp it to 10Mbits/s hehe you can always downsample later
    (3) Try XviD... more quality for your buck hehe (and tis free too)

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Actually HuffyUV is Lossless But it is One of Only about 3 or so codecs that are considered Lossless allong with Microsoft YUV ,The Only loss that gets introduced is when you start converting Colorspaces so if you use HuffyUV you should allways capture to YUY2 ...I find Mpeg4 codecs like DivX and XviD Really Bad for capture unless you are Captureing at low Resolutions or have an extremely Fast PC like 3ghz+ cuz you will need that speed to capture at 720+480 and at a high enough Bitrate to achieve acceptable Quality...The Absolute Best Quality you will be able to capture is if you capture to Uncompressed AVI so Capture to Uncompressed AVI and See how it looks, the File will be Huge But this will be the Best image you will be able to capture with your Current set up and if it still looks Bad then the Problem is with your set up and Not codecs as Uncompressed uses no codecs....Cheers