1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want to burn a full DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by buzz88, Dec 20, 2004.

1. buzz88

buzz88 Member

okay i dont know what the hell i am doing and i have been looking through all your forums and folowing some of the advise given to others but i still cannot copy a DVD. My first question is what is the differnece between DVD+RW and DVD-RW. i have a DVD-RW drive and blank DVD-RW discs 4.7GB.
    Okay i got this thread "http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125716" and found it very easy to follow so i downloaded DVD shrink and DVD DECRYPTER and adjusted the setting as it told me to. I only have one drive so i put the movie in and opened it and got rid of all the red line by replacing the extra materials section with the still image, even then the movie was still a little to big so i set the main movie compression to automatic and it took it from around 4200MB to just under 4000MB. I then began the Backup and made all the settings i was supposed to. When that was finished DVD decrypter opened up and it said disc was full (because movie was still in there) as soon as i put blank in it was ready to go.took a while but got to 100% and said operation succesful. took out DVD put in every DVD playing device i could find none of which could play it. put it back in my computer and it says disk has to be fromatted or some crap and when i go to do that it it comes back failure. i dont know if im retarted and missing something or whats going on so i was hoping you could help me out. cheers buzz

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Just the format. there is +R(RW) or -R(RW). RW's are re-writeable. + or - R's you can only use once. RW's are great for testing.

Well it would be more helpful if you posted the actual drive you have. Also, double check to make sure it's a RW and not a -R.

Now that link you posted has a guide from ScubaPete, which is a real helpful guide. I actually set the target dvd size to 4300.

See if these steps work

1) Open Shrink, then open disc
    2) Uncheck all languages you don't want to keep. But most important of all Uncheck DTS audio, just leave the AC3 ... DTS takes up alot of space and most people don't need it.
    3) click "backup!"
    4) for target destination choose. ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter
    5) click ok.

run only Shrink. Decrypter will launch on its own.

Hope it help, let me know if that worked.

3. buzz88

buzz88 Member

okay its a LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S.
    i did all that with sonic it went good then decrypter opens up and i have to replace the movie with the Blank DVD-rw disc and then start it. About 80 minutes later it comes up operation completed successfully. i take the dvd out and it doesnt work in anything.
    I completed the whole thing again and put the same DVDRW in when decrypter opens and it says its empty?????
    Does decrypter actually burn the movie to the disc or do you have to use something else????
    I ahve sonic My DVD but it does not support the files i think there vob or iso or something.
    Anyways hope you can understand all this.
    Any help is much appreciated. Thanks buzz

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Not sonic ... Use DVD Shrink!!

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Buzz,
    Check my guide here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/ it is pretty much the same as the one you are using but it has follow along pictures. Just select the DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink guide. Follow it exactly and you should be good. Go ahead and print it out, this makes it much easier :)

6. buzz88

buzz88 Member

yeah flip i did it with shrink still poo.
    I was just wondering if once you had ripped the movie to your hard drive you could burn it to a DVD with sonic.

BBMAYO. I followed your guide to the letter and got my operation completed successfully pop up with the lovely little sounds but the dvd still wont work.
    When i put it in my computer again and try to open it it says dvd needs to fromatted??????????
    Pleae help me.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Have you just tried cancelling when it comes up telling you to format, and then playing the DVD threw your DVD playing software?
    Did you actually format the disk before you copied anything onto it?
    If you have just a plane old R disk I would give that a try.

8. buzz88

buzz88 Member

No i havent formatted it and i dont know how.
    i Have sonic my dvd.
    When i right click on the dvd drive in my computer it has a tick next to "use with DLA" ?????
    and when i click on format now it opens up this format with sonic dla yarn. i have to type in the label??????? i just type TDK?????? then i hit start and it takes about 1 min 30 to do . then a pop up says FORMAT FAILED DUE TO GENERAL FAILURE????? so how else can i format a blank DVD?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This could just be a media issue, but a couple of R disks and give them a try ;-)

What brand are your RW's?

10. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Buzz88:

I have the same LiteOn drive you do and I also have Sonic MyDVD. I always have trouble with them. Over the past couple of years, I have scanned in a lot of old family photos and papers and since I only have a 40GB hdd, I tried to copy some of the stuff to a DVD. I was using Roxio (never could figure out what MyDVD was supposed to do) and when I got to the burn portion, my burner would run for about 10 seconds, the tray would pop out, and it would tell me to insert a blank DVD (even though there was already one inserted). I contacted LiteOn and they told me to "flash" the firmware -- did no good. I finally got so aggravated with it that last night, I uninstalled Roxio and tonight I am going to try it with Nero.

I haven't tried to burn a movie with the free programs, but I will as soon as I clean some of the crap off my hdd.

11. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

make sure if needed you have some kind of region free software running

12. buzz88

buzz88 Member

there TDK DVD-rw data video 4.7GB single sided re erecordable/ DVD reinscriptable
    so does anyone know how else i can format a dvd. Do you have to do that first before you can even burn onto it? because Sonic DLA is a piece of shit