1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wan't to change my old mother board to a new One,HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bat4life, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bat4life

bat4life Member

Hi everyone, I wan't to change my old mother board on my computer to a new faster and better one, but I was wondering if im going to have problems doing it, Do I have to wipe everything out on my hard drive in order for it to work? Do I need to buy new memory for it? I currently have a AMD Atholon Processor at 1.15GHZ,768mb of Ram.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You will need new memory and a new CPU to go with that new motherboard - basically a new PC.
    Your old HD will work (but you should blast it out and reinstall).
    Your Athlon sounds like an original Thunderbird @ 100MHz x 11.5 = 1150.
    Keep that mobo, CPU and memory together. You can't really upgrade it.
    It's a nice old rig (lots of memory), big $$ in its day...
    L8R

3. bat4life

bat4life Member

what do you mean by Blasting out my Hard drive? I forgot to mention that I was planning on getting a new Mother board and P4 CPU. So I have to change my memory? i can't keep the original. Thanks again for your help.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You will need new memory.
    The point is - your old mobo, memory & CPU makeup a fine PC (one that will get a student through university) so, you could keep it all together and just start to build yourself a whole new rig.
    Get yourself a new case (they don't cost much) for your new components, then you won't need to cannibalize your nice old rig.