1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBM Thinkpad Formating problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gnarkills, Jul 2, 2007.

1. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

When I start it up, it goes to a black screen with the cursor flashing. WHen I try to format with my xp home disc in the drive, it starts loading the disc, then it comes up with a blue error screen.

I just had the laptop given to me, and like to install a fresh copy of xp on it.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

If it is a blue screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Then that's the blue screen of death. You are pretty much screwed when you see that, as there is no way to fix it. (To my knowledge.)

3. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

That...is....the...one...:(

Are you sure there is no way to fix it?
    New hard drive maybe

4. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

This is what the screen looks like after it runs the xp home disc before It gets to the format part.

[​IMG]

(Click screen to view bigger)

5. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

This is what the screen looks like after it runs the xp home disc before It gets to the format part.

[​IMG]

(Click screen to view bigger)

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yep, that's the BSOD.... Sorry to say.

The only thing I could think of is for you to buy a new laptop hard drive, and install windows on that one.

7. jdempsey

jdempsey Member

Most Blue Screens are fixable, its just a matter of knowing which one you have. Not all of them are the same.

The error your getting relates to memory nine times out of ten. On the back of the thinkpad look for a small cover, sometimes has a small pic of memory by the hinge, and remove the screw. You should see the memory under there. This goes without saying but make sure the laptop is powered off. If you have two sticks take one out and try booting and see what happens. If you still have the problem put that piece back in and take the other one out and try again. If it works with just one of them in then that piece is faulty.

But don't throw it out yet, put it back in, it may just have not been seated in the slot properly. If the problem is gone, great, if its back then you know that memory is bad.

To make sure its not the hard drive you can remove it. There is a door in the back or side that has the hard drive in it. Usually a couple of screws and out it comes. Be carefull with it. Now boot the laptop without the hard drive. If it still locks up or bluescreens then you know its the memory.

8. gnarkills

gnarkills Regular member

Ok. I put a new hard drive in it, and when I try to install windows 200 on it, it says:

[​IMG]

(Please click on picture to enlarge)