1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Weirdness, need help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LDee, Mar 16, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi all

A family members pc seems to have gone a bit weird, the icons on the desktop and some of the start menu have gone to that blank icon or the white square one for .exe or something. I'll post a couple of pics here to show:

[​IMG]
    As you can see not all of them have gone that way, weird. These icons still work by the way.

Here is what's happening with the start menu, this is only happening in these two places, the desktop and this part of the start menu (ONLY this part of the start menu).
    [​IMG]

I don't know what started this, perhaps running a game that is a bit old (Pharoh) but certainly nothing new on the system has started it, and everything has been run loads of times before with this happening. Anyone know what I can do about this?

EDIT: Really sorry about the image sizes, anyone know what type of url I should use from imageshack.us to scale it down to a decent size so I can edit this?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have had this happen to me when a game crashes or I buggerd up an application. But this is cleared by a simple reboot.

Is this happening on every startup? try deleting that icon and put it back to your desktop.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yes it's like this on every startup. I think windows crashed and then this happened. I've tried setting the display resolution to a different setting and then back again and terminating explorer but nothing helps.

Just now I copied an exe from a program to the desktop to check if it's icon would be there, when it appeared on the desktop with it's icon, alot of the other icons cam back too. Desktop now looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the my computer and my documents icons are still missing, and also those three at the top that come down vertically are actually .htm files, so should have the firefox icon... ?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

They should have came back but I guess they just need to be deleted and re-made a shortcut to your desktop.

As far as those icons in your start menu, you can simply right click and remove from list/ then find those icons again in your star/all programs/then right click and select pin to start menu.

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

Deleting them and renaming them was working for all except the my computer and my documents icons, however managed to fix it by chance.

I was messing about in the display properties and changed the colour down to 16 bit then back to 32 and they all came back as the proper icons!

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Good job! see, you didn't need to ask for help, lol

See ya :)