1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas how to develop the forum software further?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by dRD, Nov 16, 2004.

1. zippyd

zippyd Active member

dRD, since you don't like titles, how about we put something like
    The only exception would be Mods, Admins, and of course, da boss.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Suggestion:

When you hit reply, how it shows the last 25 messages to that thread, the most recent is down the bottom...

So u have to scroll all the way down the bottom to read the last message, which your most likely replying to...

Can you reverse it?
    Eg have most recent starting from top, to oldest down the bottom...

CJC

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

This site is great. I love it, but maybe you could fix up the search engine a bit. More than 50 finds would be great because sometimes you just can't get the search topic more specific without excluding useful results. Also, I just searched the exact name of the thread and it couldn't find it. Still love this site! Keep up the good work.

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I have another "fun", but not useful idea. How about we implement the use of "emoticons" (I think that's what they're called), like some of the chat services use. So when I type something like

;) or :p

and then click reply, a little yellow smiley appears with the appropriate facial expression in the thread.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

zippyd: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

Boss: Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! i hate those damn things.

7. dRD

zippyd: Seriously, I appreciate the suggestion -- I've actually developed more than enough forums for various companies and have developed such things (emoticons) for other companies, but I can't personally stand them :) And again, they would slow down the page loading times as well, even when they would be like 512 bytes, but when you got 100 on one page, that makes 50kb extra to load per page, which is a pain for modem users.

And also, I'm sorta old skool person, I began my "Net career" as a sysop on AmiExpress board back in 1991, I'd personally prefer a text-only, fixed-width font command line site :) Unfortunately such thing doesn't exactly go well with mainstream users, so that's why aD is graphical, although we try to aim to keep it simple while trying to make it look nice :)

But as always, suggestions are appreciated, but this one (emoticons) will get turned down, unfortunately :)

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

LOL,
    Like I said, it was a "fun" but useless idea. I seem to have alot of those. Just thought I'd toss it out there for a vote. I just see everyone using the text versions of the expressions and even some people using the img, /img feature to display some and thought about making the suggestion. No worries on my end.

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Can you do this with the subscribed threads list as well?
    I just finished unsubscribing to over 100 threads one at a time. Not very fun.

10. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

Also im not sure if ne1 has written this, but like is there a way where some1 who posts a cr*p post in, can they then be like demoted?

11. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

just use the "report offensive post" funtion and it will be seen, just make sure you state why. or PM the link and reason to a mod.

12. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Now how can you not just "love" those great litte "emoticons". I think zippyds sugestion is perfect.
    Here is one to get us started.
    [​IMG] lol ;o)

13. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

It would be helpful if clicking on search results would open a new window.

14. mryoda

mryoda Member

you've done one hell of a job with the forum!

frankly I love how speedy it is...

I'm looking into coding my own forum as well in CFMX... and needless to say it's a daunting task...

here's a few ideas:

1/ 'last reply by xxxx' next to thread title?
    2/ mouse-over popups on thread titles showing first 10-15 words of the message...

again, a great forum!

15. dRD

mryoda: Thanks. The pop thingy I've wondered, but decided so far not to implement it. Reasoning: it would roughly double the html pages (main index of the forums and the forum_view.cfm pages) and I still prefer to keep the site fast even for modem users (I'm on 8/1, so I can't really tell the diff, but :). The "last post by" is a different matter -- that would involve a new join to the SQL query to pull out the member nick for the person who made the post, thus slowing down that query as well. Only a matter of probably 5 milliseconds, but that adds up quite nicely when you have 400,000+ page loads for the forums a day :)

Anyway, I wish you luck with the development. I've been toying with an idea to release the forum software either as an open source or a LGPL'd shareware (free for personal sites, $50 - $250 for commercial sites). I have only two probs with that at the moment -- the codebase is still, despite quite a lot of "neutralizing" work, very afterdawn-centric. And I simply don't have time that it would need to make the installers, code documentation (true coders never doc their code ;-), project maintenance, etc.

Anyway, I'm always into CF chat, so if you got anything interesting going on, gimme a PM. After all, as my "day job", I do CF code and db designs for various companies.

To all: Thanks for all the suggestions. We've received tons of good ideas, etc and will evaluate all the suggestions within spring 2005 and will start developing them with the typical timeline (read: when I have time :).

16. mryoda

mryoda Member

yup, i can see how it can grow the page enormously... i guess as long as the title of the threads are relevant to the first post, then it's all good... afterdawn doesnt seem to suffer from such a problem, but a lot of forums, thread starters title their post in such vague manner, features like it helps a lot... and it was something I noticed only after I started looking into features required for forum app...

as for the 'last reply', would it really be such an overload? i think I read this site runs off 5 servers, correct? haha it sounds like you have cpu cycles to spare!

how about page links next to the title of the thread that has multiplage pages?
    it shouldnt be too detrimental to the speed of the site... (maybe..)

17. dRD

mryoda: Actually, at the moment, the CPU cycles are a major headache to us -- I've reported this in various threads and our loyal users know it: our system has been on its knees during the peak hours pretty much every day after Christmas 2004. The problem is really the database box -- 2GHz Dual Xeon can't really cope with the fact that we get

a) 400,000+ forum page loads a day
    b) additional 400,000+ heavily dynamic page impressions (main site) a day
    c) the forum database contains almost million posts and our user db contains over 260,000 users

Out of five boxes, only two are used for CFMX and one for db. Other two are for downloads (about 2TB a month only for software downloads..), log analysis, ad serving, etc.

Anyway, we've just received few quotes from various hosting companies and will move our cluster to seven server setup (that has load-balanced database setup) -- in addition to having two additional nodes, the new setup will also replace our P4 webservers with either Dual Xeon 3GHz boxes or Dual Opterons.

So, as a summary -- no, probably the 5ms wouldn't kill the system, but I'm reluctant to add any further load to the db until we get the current hardware mess sorted out that was "caused" (well, not like I'm complaining :) by a recent traffic boost. We have been forced even to take down the forum search engine and temporarily replace it with Google.

But yup, the page number viewing makes sense and I'll add it to my to-do list. And the "last post by XXX" will most likely get added too, but as said, only after we get more oomph to the db :)

18. mryoda

mryoda Member

260,000 users and 800,000+ impressions per day?

jebus... I'm more impressed now given the numbers... *bows*

anyhow thank for listening to my suggestions...

can afterdawn possibly be one of the biggest coldfusion -based app on the web?

I'm just not used to seeing a cf app pushing such huge numbers... hehe.. ;)

[edit] another idea, how about taking the user back to the last page of the thread after posting the reply?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

What do you think about change DVD-R for advanced users to DVD-R for advanced questions?

20. dRD

mryoda: Oh no, there are several huge FuseTalk-based forums out there, so I don't think we would even rank within the top 10 largest CF-based forums. But obviously the aim is to "get there" :) Granted, we could easily boost the number of posts by removing few restrictions like the one where newbies can't reply to old threads, etc. But then again, I prefer to keep the content more accurate rather than toy with posting figures.

And yes, the "take me to last page/my post after replying" is on our to-do list. Will get added there once our higher priority stuff (server upgrade, etc) gets done.

flip: Would the naming convention make much difference to the content of the forum?