1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you turn swap file off, does windows make it's own?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by nightfly, Jul 8, 2011.

1. nightfly

nightfly Member

This question pertains to windows 7 only. Please, please don't tell me about vista, xp, 2000, millenium, 98, 95 or 3.whatever.
    People keep telling me how much better windows 7 is than previous iterations. But I keep running into a brick wall when discussing this on other forums, no one will give me a straight answer. Simple question, really; If you try to turn off the swap file in windows 7, does it create one anyway like previous versions of windows? And if so, where does it put it?
    I don't need to know all the reasons why one might not want to turn off the swap file.
    I don't need to know how important it is to let windows run itself.
    I don't need to know that you consider microsoft's engineers to be much smarter than I am so I should let them go ahead and let windows make my decisions for me.
    I only need to know the answer to these two questions, so please, please can someone just answer and we can be done.
    Thank you.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

as to question 1.no. this makes question 2 unnecessary.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

are we done here?

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

If Win7 had a swapfile installed and can't find it during booting it will make a temporary swapfile.

Using the Control Panel> Advanced System Settings> Advanced Tab >Settings, just select the size you wish to use. Zero for if don't want a swapfile.

Even if you have tons of RAM a 16 megger is suggested because some poorly written software won't function without it.
    Jeff

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  5. nightfly

nightfly Member

Great. But that still doesn't tell me where windows puts the friggin' thing.

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

You may have to show hidden files.

Start menu> control panel> Personalization> Tools> Folder options> view> click show on hidden files, folder and drives.

It's named pagefile.sys not swapfile.

I keep a 16 Meg swapfile on another drive so it doesn't inhibit read/write times on the boot drive if, when it is ever being used.

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011