1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm having some trouble combining avi files.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by oxycodone, Nov 17, 2004.

1. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

I have 18 41 minute .avi files that I want to burn onto as few dvds as possible. They are all about 350mb.

For some reason, virtual dub won't let me combine them. I get a message when I first open one of them, saying it has detected an improper VBR audio encoding and will reqrite the audio header with standard CBR values.
    Then when I try to append the next file, it says they have different audio streams.

So I tried using Windows Movie Maker to combine them, but I can only fit 3 avis on each dvd if I do it that way for some reason.(after combining with wmm I convert to DVD with cucusoft, then use IFOedit to author the dvd, and then nero to burn it)

What can I do to get more than 3 on each disc?

2. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Anyone?

Did I post this on the correct forum? Or should it be on one of the other dvd forums?

3. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

I use nero visual express to add more than one avi file to disc.

4. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Will that be playable in a dvd player with dvd-r support?

5. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Actually no, thats not going to work. I can only fit 2 at a time that way.

I need some way to combine them first or something so that I can convert them to dvd, and them into video_ts files.

Would this be better off in the advanced forum maybe?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero vision Express will work. When Comes up click on make DVD Video. Then Click button bottom left that says "More" Click on "Video options" Then go to "DVD Video" Tab and make your quality setting super long play. Now see how many you can put on 1 DVD you should be able to put about 8 hours on 1 DVD. Now keep in mind the more you put on a dvd the poorer your quality will be..

Hope this helps

7. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

yes....NVE will let you add more avi files, i burnt 3 300Mb avi files to one dvd and it plays well in my dvd player for the tv.

8. nist

nist Member

If you want to put several avi files on one dvd I recommend to use Cucusoft AVI to DVD program -> www.cucusoft.com or use DVD Santa www.dvdsanta.com

Both these programs will automatically convert the avi to dvd mpeg-2 compliant format and create a DVD which is playable in a standalone player. Fill the dvd with as many avi's as you can fit on a DVD.

Another solution is to convert the avi files to mpeg-2 files with "tmpgenc xpress" and then author a dvd with "tmpgenc dvd author" (then can you also create a menu and chapter points in each file).

9. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

using NVE converts avi files so they can play on stand alone dvd player anyway. there's a multitude of programs the end user can use to burn files, it's all up to the individual i guess.

10. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

I can still only fit 4 on one disc, but I guess thats good enough. THank you very much for your help everyone.

And nist, I use cucosoft to do that with single avi files. I would need to combine them first if I wanted to use that right?

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

oxycodone,

I agree with MrRod and bbmayo, NVE is perfect for what you want to do, and it allows you to create a menu and set chapters with which to navigate your compilation. There aren't many apps(if any) that will convert, add, set chapters, create menu, compress, and burn all in one app. It also converts much faster than most of the others.

there's a multitude of programs the end user can use to burn files,

Actually why not burn directly out of NVE after you preview your work with the software remote control?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  12. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Yeah, I just didn't know you could change those quality options.

The first disc is burning right now.

How come this takes so much longer to burn that using video_ts and .vob files? Just more information or what?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

How long is it taking and what is your file size? Also did you do make a menu?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is going to take longer because Nero has to convert your AVI's to be DVD compliant and also shrink them down to fit on 1 DVD. It actually could take a very long time depending on the type of AVI. If it was DivX format for example it could take hours, but it will work just be patient. :)

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmmm....oxycodone, are you talking about the entire process or just the actual burn itself?

If you're talking about the entire process then bbmayo is correct, you're doing a lot more than just editing and compressing files to burn when you have to convert those files 1st.

I thought you were talking about just the burn itself after everything else has been done which is why I wanted to know file size and time it was taking.

Soooo, which is it? :>)

16. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Yeah I realized after I posted that the reason why it was taking longer was because it had to do that other shit as well.

It took about 2 and a half hours, and yes I did make a menu. The quality is pretty bad though.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

you have the dvd plugin, right? How so on the quality, it should be no worse than the source. Or are you talking about the menu?

18. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

dvd plugin for what?

I figured the quality was bad because I used the super long play option.

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

That would do it too if you used a lot of compression. I wasn't aware that you had added that many files. Did NVE give a window stating your quality would be worse?

When you 1st open NVE you should see a little text stating dvd plugin has been detected.

Come to think of it, I don't even think it works without it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  20. oxycodone

oxycodone Member

Yeah I'm sure I have it. And yes, I realized that it would have worse quality, but I don't really care.