1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm looking for a good DVD/CD burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hazardrox, Mar 18, 2005.

1. hazardrox

hazardrox Member

any suggestions? i heard Benq is good?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I recommend Pioneer or Lite-On

3. hazardrox

hazardrox Member

ANY PARTICULAR MODEL?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well Pioneer is a great brand so any model you get should work good. I have an older model, the DVR-105, which is only a DVD-R 4X burner. Had it for two years without a single problem or coaster.

My CD Burner is a Lite-On LTR-48246S. 48X burn, 24X RW burn. Again, a few years old but works flawlessly. There are 52X burners now, but I don't think the speed difference is very great. I can copy and entire CD on the fly in 4 1/2 minutes.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Plextor ..is great stuff too 712A or the newer model 716A

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Pioneer or Plextor for me!

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i bought a Sony-dru700a (dual layer, 12 or 16 speed). but i read a lot of good things about the NEC 3500 or 3520 drives, in the UK we can even get these for like 35 or 40 pounds online, which is probably what i'd buy if my Sony packs up (which it no doubt will due to overuse!). Prior to that i had an optorite which was crap, and prior to that all my burners were only CD burners so thats my short and sweet answer

8. thietlong

thietlong Member

I heard a lot of good reviews about the Pioneer 109 model...newegg have them for 67 or 68 or so right now with free shipping. NEC also have pretty good models out there for like 10 dollar cheaper or so, you can get a good 3520 or 3500. Good Luck.

thietlong

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have 2 benq 1620's. I got the + format discs book-typed to dvd rom and haven't found a stand alone player or a pc drive that will not play those backups.12x and 16x speeds on all of the newer-high quality- 8x media,so you have to watch that max burn speed setting. Total compatability on my standalones.

Newegg have them anywhere from $50-$90,depending on what extra stuff you want with them.

All those burners listed before my posts are very good burners. You shouldn't go wrong with any of them.
    Good Luck

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...g=5&manufactory=1583&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  10. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Pioneer for me, just stay away from anything that is single format and dont be too worried by max burn speeds, most people only use 4x anyway

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

"most people only use 4x anyway"

Deadcat,that is true.That's where I "try" to keep my burn speed.With all these quality burners and quality 8x media available,it's fairly easy to leave your burn speed set on max and accidentally burn at 12x or 16x.

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

thats true, and its also easy to end up with coasters. Both nero and dvd decrypter can be locked to what speed you chose. Personally mines set to max read and 4x write and havent had a coaster yet

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I like to try out a lot of different media.Mostly + format only because that is the only format my tv home burner will use.Of all the half dozen or so accidental 12x and 16x burns,they all turned out ok. No coasters.I try to keep the burn at 4x for better compatability on my standalones/pcs/and ps2's. Approx 25 or so different drives.I also re-rip those backups on the fly with 0 coasters out of 150 or so re-ripped copies.I can loan those backups out to my family and friends and don't have to worry about them not playing.
    Safe and steady 4x, fewer issues.

14. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved*

15. creaky

25drives, bloody hell. i thought i was doing well havin 5 (2 standalone, 1 ps2 and 2 on pc). but then i do live on a boat so haven't got tooo much space :)

16. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

apart from the 4 in my sig, theres 2 ps2, xbox, sony and pioneer standalones, lg vcr/dvd combo, and xms standalone with divx

17. goterps7

goterps7 Member

Which externals do you recommend?

18. creaky

not sure there's much choice in externals, tho might be wrong. What is big these days is usb enclosures. However there are lots of ppl here and on other forums who have long-standing, like over a year in some cases, unresolved probs with 'something'. the 'something' not resolved or pinned down in a lot of ppl's posts. Anyway i use a couple enclosures, i have prob with one of them, but the other exact enclosure works 100%.
    Have a look here and see what you think -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/102002
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/172206

(there are more but they're the only two i'm following)

At the end of the day it's worth buying one for a dvd ripper , maybe for a writer (tho don't quote me on whether the writer in an enclosure is a good idea!), but make sure you're able to excahnge it or get refund if you run into probs

19. goterps7

goterps7 Member

20. goterps7

goterps7 Member

Is an internal DVD burner in an enclosure better than am external DVD burner?