1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by hbkhhh69, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Decalb

Decalb Member

nm found the bwa file cant use it though so i install it and cant get the cotn file to launch. anyone can help?

2. Crown1978

Crown1978 Member

Just released what IDIOTS we have been !
    Its really simple for those who have tried this before.
    JUST DOWNLOAD THE DEMO AND INSTALL THE GAME DIRECTLY FROM THE BWA USING ALCOHOL AND COPY THE FRIGGIN CTON.exe from the DEMO folder ot the ORGINAL FOLDER and the game DONT CHECK FOR SECUROM!!
    BRILLIANT HUH!?!

3. RemyAF

RemyAF Member

Okay... one... have you tried that yet and actually gotten it to work?

Two... it makes sense that it would (explanation excluded so not to insult anyone).

Three... your method, while not directly illegal, prevents the use of any patches in the future, as updated EXE files usually include the CD check. New patch out for CotN alreaedy, 1.1, and it fixes some rather noticeable errors.

Four... your trick gave me that feeling of "hmm, I don't think I should be doing that." Something about it just caught me as not entirely right. Might want to check on the true ramifications of that method. Notice, I haven't repeated it in this message...

4. Crown1978

Crown1978 Member

..Okay... one... have you tried that yet and actually gotten it to work?

YES

Two... it makes sense that it would (explanation excluded so not to insult anyone).

Well we must be retarded when we try to burn it and waste like 4 cds for a solution that sooo simple!

Three... your method, while not directly illegal, prevents the use of any patches in the future, as updated EXE files usually include the CD check. New patch out for CotN alreaedy, 1.1, and it fixes some rather noticeable errors.

THe newest patch from www.immortalcities.com worked perfect on the Demo applied Exe file

Four... your trick gave me that feeling of "hmm, I don't think I should be doing that." Something about it just caught me as not entirely right. Might want to check on the true ramifications of that method. Notice, I haven't repeated it in this message...

Well its up to you if you want to continue to waste even more cds or try my method and play :)

5. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

While this seems a very smart thing to try and much games don't make the mistake of this. So i tried it out (after patching and placing demo exe over orginal exe) and to my suprise the game loaded. So i went to go load my saved campaign, however it couldn't load. so i was like...ok, so i went and tried and tutorials and the missions, however they did not work either. so unless i'm missing something your "breakthrough" doesn't work.

6. RemyAF

RemyAF Member

That's because the demo EXE is only coded for the demo. It doesn't know *how* to access the rest of the in-game content.

I really don't have the time to waste on downloading the demo, or I would try it, but it seems like someone is waving the B.S. flag on your idea, Crown.

And just a suggestion; don't call other people on this board "retarded." We are trying to find a way to back up our legally purchased CDs without having to jump through hoops and download demos and have separate EXE files.

I'm glad your way worked for you. I'm more interested in a way that works for everyone else.

7. ArcaneX

ArcaneX Member

Who is retarded now Crown ? :/

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The only retarded person is the next one that calls someone else retarded. Get my drift? :)

9. chvyordth

chvyordth Member

This thing is getting me heated. I have followed the instructions exactly. I have 2 computers. On this computer, my cd-rom refueses to read the cd. I open my computer then go to the cd, and hit explore.. and it takes for ever to load the contents. Then I double click install, All goes well untill It starts to copy cotn.exe then it hangs and never finishes. Now, I take the same cd to my crappy e-machines computer upstairs with integrated graphics and all that 'good stuff', and it installed perfect. I even started up the game and got to the menu, then I exited because I knew that pc couldn't handle the game. SO my question is this.. Why the hell does the cd work fine on one computer, and doesn't even work with the computer I used to burn the cd???

10. Nephilim

What make/model drive are you using?

Software and settings?

Burn speed?

11. chvyordth

chvyordth Member

I have no idea what my cd-r drive is. It came with my computer. Something generic I imagine. "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481b 1.10" That is the only information I can gather on my burner. I burned it with BlindWrite 4.5.7.92 with autoplay off, and in DAO PW mode. Just to make sure it would burn, I told it to write at 30x. On my other computer The cd works awesome, I load the game every time. But on this one.. It won't even let me install the game.

12. Nephilim

Ok your drive is an LG 8481B and isn't on any of the EFM capable lists I've looked at which could be a problem.

My suggestion would be to use the trial version of BlindWrite5 and set the read and burn speeds to 4X. The protection needs to be read and written back to the disc as accurately as possible so the slow speeds are a must.

13. chvyordth

chvyordth Member

Thanks man, I will give that a shot. I was kinda' thinkin that may be the case, beings how the same cd works on 1 computer and not the other. I will let you know, thanks again.

14. Interlude

Interlude Member

ArcaneX,

You're a hero, at least in the world of my computer and its burning capacities. Yours is the only method that worked for me. For those who are interested, follow Arcane's instructions on page 2 of this thread, installing from a mounted image.

Cheers

15. Sean232

Sean232 Member

there is a no cd crack out lastnight i had found the game on the newsgroups and decide to ask around if the game had a no cd crack so possibly you will see it in a few days i would check megagames once and awhile to see if it is there