info needed on pentium D!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by demon406, Jan 24, 2007.

1. demon406

demon406 Member

hello , im just curious to know what is the difference between a single core intel p4 3.4 and a dual core intel pentium d 3.4 . i know its a multi-tasking processor but is it much faster than the ordinary 3.4? and also its two processors running at 3.4 on a pentium D?(ie. increasmenet in the game performance?)

2. onya

onya Guest

I'm sure if you pay the good folks at Intel a visit at their website, their side by side comparison utility will give you all the info.

Absolutetly, no point in having a wizz bang graphics card and a slow cpu (and visa versa)

Cheers.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you have th basics right, 2 cores both at the stated speed. it does not mean that every thing you do is faster tho. you need software that is optimized for dual cores. now there is more and more of this everyday but not everything is. it is even less wide spread with games, so you will only gain the benfits in other ways. like you will have all the background apps (win, firewall, anti v, voip and im, that kind of thing) running on 1 core and the game alone on the 2nd, this will help your gaming.

other things it will help is the amount of apps you can have running at once, as it doubles the ammount of processing that can be done.

now i cant tell you that a pentium d is the best cpu for gaming because it aint, they are great for office work, video and picture editing, crunching big numbers that sort of thing but they are inefficent, amd x2s and the core 2 duos are much better chips for gaming. if you can stick a pent d in your board it must be a s775 and that too is the core 2 duo socket, if you are lucky you could just drop one of these in instead (you may need a bios update). one of these would realy make your machine go faster.