1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input On DVD Rebuilder Guide

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by vurbal, Jun 9, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It's not really an issue of CCE's output. DVD Rebuilder requires DVD files as input and gives you smaller DVD files as output. To answer your question a little more directly, yes you can use the output from Shrink as input for Rebuilder.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I guess Shrink would be okay as a decryption tool. But, wouldn't it be a lot more simple and easier to just use DVD Decrypter, or a like tool, to just rip the file to the HD and then use said files for input. What are some of the other people using for ripping files here? This is an important step, as what goes in effects what comes out.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brobear, no problem using decrypter, I did my first one with that-Lost World,31/2 hr. movie. Worked fine. I'm then used Vobblanker and DVDStripper because I wanted to see how it would work taking out files but retaining a working menu, the reason I didn't use Shrink. Both worked fine, copies were excellent. I am now on the DVDRemake track to see how it will work, whether ripping with decrypter or ripping with Anydvd and skipping decrypter. So far, in all cases rebuilder/CCE has performed admirably except for that damn time thing(you're looking @ 3 to 31/2 hrs. minimum). Time to get ya feet wet?
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

Bigorange,
    Guess I'll have to go missing for a day just to give Rebuiler a good try. I only mentioned the Shrink thing because someone was using a decrypter/encoder to do what a decrypter will do as well in less time. I hope the user wasn't pre-editing with Shrink, he would have really been missing the object of the exercise going that route.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

I wouldn't worry abut the length of time it takes to rip, especially if you're going to use DVDrebuider/CCE. What's a 13 minute rip in a 3 hour plus encode? I use DVDdecrypter to rip if I'm going to do any editing at all with another application. If I need a quick and direct burn/encode then I use DVDcopy. But in either burn I could, and on larger files would, use DVDremake for trimming them down.

Vurbal:

I solved the basics of removing multiple angles from films. Will try IFOedit too.

Siber: mulitple angles and interleaves are not supported by DVDrebuilder, My reasoning is, where those things are present in the source disk, to rip it, and then edit out the undesired traits, and run rebuilder/CCE again with positive results.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

7. vurbal

There's a valid use for Shrink if you want to compress menus. For example, I've used it to compress big menus that I didn't want because I was feeling too lazy to use Stripper (backing up a friend's discs for him) to remove them properly. I've also used it when I couldn't just remove menu items, but I wanted them smaller. The Fellowship Of The Ring Extended Edition comes to mind. The Scene Selections menus are each actually 3-4 motion menus running one after another, and if you remove any one of them with DVD Stripper the disc doesn't work right (stops playing when it gets to that point). I don't remember if that was my final solution, but it was one I tried. I'm still glad I tried Stripper though, because I wouldn't have known the disc had easter eggs otherwise. I just happened to notice that there were links without buttons.

8. vurbal

It's generally a good idea to get rid of additional angles for compression reasons anyway. Most of the time they're just used for having different versions of things like credits in different languages. In Disney's case I think they also like them because they can be intimidating for newbies trying to back them up.

9. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

Brobear said: ....I only mentioned the Shrink thing because someone was using a decrypter/encoder to do what a decrypter will do as well in less time......

If you're talking about me, I find that DVDShrink is at least as fast as DVD Decryptor, the added advantage is that I get rid of all the audio and subtitle tracks I don't want as well, so I kill two birds with one stone. I realize that some of you guys like having the menus, but for myself, I've always hated them, every movie wants some cutsey, time consuming hard to see menu system, hate'em. So I rip at "no compression" with Shrink, if compression is needed I use DVD2one, then burn with Nero. In all this process is about 35-45 minutes.

My earlier question was about using CCE Basic without DVDRebuilder: (1) Can you use CCE Basic on its own or must it be integrated with another; (2) If 1 is possible, what is the output format, VOB files, Info files or something else?

I tried to download CCE basic an hour or so ago, three times, it would get me to the "process order" screen, I execute the order and then I'd get a bunch of web garbage, errors out the wazoo on the web page. So I may have bought the thing three times, in which case the VisibleLight folks and I will have a talk. But I assume the purchase didn't go through since it says I haven't purchased a download when I try that screen.

To me the optimal system would be having the CCE Basic replace DVD2One in the process.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hey DemonDog

CCE is almost useless without some kind of a frontend. It's like a really big motor waiting to be installed and tuned. Unfortunately the motor is of higher quality than the thing it was expected to be installed in and controlled by.

11. vurbal

Yes you could use CCE without Rebuilder, but it wouldn't be as simple as that. To give you an idea of the complexity, before Rebuilder I had to create a D2V project and demux audio files, create an AviSynth script to frameserve it (CCE won't read MPEG files), load the script into CCE and create/save a project, load the original IFO for the movie in Chapter Xtractor to find the exact chapter points, open the ECL file (CCE project) in a text editor and paste in the chapter points so CCE would make sure there were I frames at each one (required for the beginning of each chapter and CCE Basic doesn't allow you to set this), load the project in CCE again and encode an elementary video stream, and finally, take the audio files created by DVD2AVI in the beginning and the video file from CCE and author them into a DVD.

DVD Rebuilder does all of those things (and more) for you, and has additional advantages because of the way it segments the video. It's the division into cells which allows it to precisely place chapter points with CCE Basic, and also allows it to encode some parts as progressive and others as interlaced to match the original disc, something that no other re-encoding method (that I know of) can do.

I'm not sure why you don't want to use Rebuilder, although if you think it's too complicated to get setup, don't be scared off. It's easier than you might think, and once you get it working it's incredibly easy. Plus you can always ask questions here and I'm sure any problems you run into can be solved.

12. vurbal

I wouldn't call it worthless. I use it for encoding TV captures and home videos all the time (okay I just started on the home videos) and I learned on CCE SP before I stopped working for the community college that owns the license. As a matter of fact I'd say that I probably owe easily half my understanding of MPEG encoding to learning CCE, and while the settings can be intimidating at first, they're really not that complicated (especially for Basic) once you figure out what they actually do.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What do you use as a frontend? How do you process the files. The graphical user interface on CCE basic is almost non existent. I think that CCE Basic is the best consumer solution to DVD backup but it requires instructions, directions, from other applicatios to do its stuff.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

14. vurbal

I'm not sure what you mean. CCE has it's own interface so no third party front end is required. I use AviSynth to frameserve, CCE to encode, and DVD-Lab or Rejig to author.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry Vurbal, perhaps frameserver would have been a better description than frontend, but we're in agreement. I only wanted to point out that CCE alone would not have the usefullness and flexibility that it has, without the symbiosis that it has, with other applications. I know that it can be and it has been used on its own but not commonly.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

16. vurbal

Ahhh, I see what you're saying and basically you're right. If you're starting out with an MPEG file of any kind you need another program so CCE can read it. It can read Quicktime or AVI (I think that's all) but not MPEG. Which makes sense from what is essentially a pro tool. If you need to re-encode you're always better off going back to the original source, but of course for DVD backups we don't have that option.

17. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

Thanks for the replies about CCE Basic and its usability as a stand alone product, that's what I wanted to know. It's a "video unix", powerful engine written by engineers for engineers. And I wasn't "afraid" of rebuilder, I just didn't want to have to learn yet another bit of software if I didn't have to. (I know, bad english) I was hoping it was similar to DVD2one and I could just swap out the compression/encoding chores with CCE Basic and not have to rejig my routine. Ah well, in the morning I'll check with VisibleLight and see how many, if any copies I own of CCE Basic.

Currently, I have DVD X-Copy Plantinum & Express, DVDShrink, Nero and DVD2One. I quit using the X-Copies months ago because I was having trouble with foreign language films and some other problems. For the last couple of months I've been using DVDShrink/Nero for films with 90-100% compression, and for numbers smaller than 90% I've been using DVDShrink@100%, DVD2One and then Nero. Which works well to about 75%, been looking for the app. that'll give good results at the 50-60% range, so I'll try Rebuilder and CCE Basic.

P.S.- Just watched OZ season 3, disk 2 and I HATE MENUS; god what frustration, just play, I don't need any fade in, fade out, other stuff, etc. (And yes, about one out of three movies I watch at least 20% of in fast forward :)

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sophocles and Brian, can't get past the first step with remake. I ripped with decrypter, when I try to import in remake I get 3 messages:system cannot find file specified, can't open VIDEO_TS.IFO,can't load VMG. I also tried it on the fly with anydvd, got same message. I used file mode in decrypter. What's goin' on?

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Never mind, got it! ain't that the way it always is, messed with it for 2 hours, soon as I write the forum the damn thing works. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know, remember I kept groaning about not being able to delete multi angles? You'd think it was the first time I used my right mouse button. BTW, don't forget to use it. LOL

Well shutting down for the night.