1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Mac OS on AMD Athlon II X2 240

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by stevedogg, Dec 4, 2009.

1. stevedogg

stevedogg Regular member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windows issue.

3. stevedogg

stevedogg Regular member

any help in here?

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

nobody made it work.. only hardware I know that works is intel (your link is down, but I remember all tha "mac on amd" stuff a couple of years back.. and it don't work)

install unix.. something like one of the bsd's (which is all that apple junk is anyway under the pretty skin) instead of wasting your time with something that is impossible, and the few people who have crammed a different kernel in it then have no hardware support.. no networking.. no sound.. the list goes on and on.

your best choice is something simple.. linux will do everything mac os will do, on a lot more hardware.. and it uses the grub bootliader which should fire up anything it's told to (no comment on win7 .. wouldn't have that shite in my house)

5. stevedogg

stevedogg Regular member

hmmm, I really wanted MAC so I could show off :p. But Linux would be 2nd choice.

I still have hope, I'm pretty hard-headed, so I may try anyways and continue my research....(fixed the link)

6. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Yes, well I concur with everything scum101 wrote.

However, you have a fancy processor. The following website has some instructions that might allow you to dual boot MacOSX and Vista. Note, however, the hardware failures on similar processors. (Running both simultaneously is a real kludge. I don't know how the poor graphics processors copes, speaking two graphic languages at once.)

The OSx86 Project

Better, if you want a bit of the MacOSX look with speed, is to try this and have a very fine operating system (though the latest Ubuntu was having some problems).

GNU/Linux with Spots

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

you might have guessed I was one of the people working on the amd-mac-os problem.. it didn't work at all in the end, and I killed some old hardware as well.

theres no "show off" about mac-os.. if you want an os with real "show off" power try openQNX ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Yes, the website lists the processors and all the hardware failure reported when using them. I understand though, if you have the appropriate Dell, MacOSX runs faster on it than a Mac.

Fairy Tale

I don't know how to say this, but ... an operating system that runs without failure for decades is not 'show off' anymore. (Sigh, you must be older than I.)

We want our icons to fly off the desktop and disappear into the horizon, our webpages to thumb automatically across the screen, like a photo album! That's a real operating system!

Having said that, the introduction of MS-DOG caused professionals' smiles to drop. After that, the Godfather held 20 years of advances in academic computing from the public, as the everyone anxiously waited the next version (it's bug fix already prepared & waiting), with the price stamped on it.

One of my (part time) jobs was to interest faculty of the East Coast in JvNCC's pair of ETA-10 supercomputers, then the fastest computers in the world. (They ran dipped in liquid nitrogen.) My friend, a system analyst for CDC looked at one with a heavy heart and queried 'Yes, but does it run MS-DOS?'.

Windose, stolen from both Apple and IBM, added directories for storing pop-up commercial advertisements, and leased space to businesses for 'commercials': a vision, I suppose, merging computing with cable television.

When Windows' scheduler gave half the CPU cycles to a DOS program, dividing the rest equally among Windose applications, over 900 academic papers had been published refining the Unix process scheduler. No one knew.

You get the point (and got it long ago, I know).

It was good for consultants, though. Physicians crumbled into tears as they revealed they were top in Med School, but couldn't understand a word of the DOS Manual. No company frightened the public more of computers than Microsoft. Those were good times.

Apple ruined all this by making computers as easy to use as a toaster. What really changed the landscape was MacOSX 10.2. An obsessive in Cupertino, who could fire faster than a speeding bullet and leap 20 years in a bound, revealed his state-of-the-art vision, acquired at NeXT and Pixar.

If Microsoft set the low boundary of personal (personal, notice) computing, Apple set the high. The Godfather noticed this when a PC wouldn't load music into his iPod. Suddenly, Vista and Windows 7 appeared out of the blue; too late, in my opinion.

So, I have great admiration and appreciation for our obsessive friend in Cupertino, even if he does release his hardware (which changes weekly) and software without a beta test.

Life became better for the people in Tinkerville.

9. jugdus

jugdus Member

Hi ,

I have sucessfully installed Leopard 10.5.7, and upgraded to 10.5.8, on an Asus M2N32 WS Professional with an AMD quad core Phenom 9850, using the - iAtkos v7 - distro dvd.

Initially I had to use an ide dvd burner to install from, and an ide hard drive to install onto. It took a bit of experimenting with the different options available on the iAtkos install dvd.. You also need to set a few things in your motherboard bios as well.

So far have not been able to get Snow Leopard installed on my AMD machine

Search around for the iAtkos v7 distro files, about 3.5GB - 4GB altogether.I found after trying lots of other distros - iAtkos v7 was the easiest to use, and actually the only one that got Leopard installed on my AMD machine

10. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Does anything run slowly on an AMD processor?

I'm anything but a hacker, so I'm unclear why MacOSX's multimedia extensions written using Intel's SSE3 commands would run on an AMD processor, which I thought used different commands, 3DNow! or something like that.

Are SSE3 instructions translated, run natively by AMD, or has Apple sold us short by not using them? (This is not diverging from the thread, I hope.) This is actually important to those seeking fast, scientific computations.