1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal/External Conversion & Maxtor Hard Drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bethie, Apr 19, 2005.

1. bethie

bethie Member

I am new to the whole digital video editing game and I have a crappy Dell Laptop (Pentium 4, XP small business, 512MB RAM). It didn't come with a dvd burner, so I am thinking of getting an external one, and it seems that the Plextors are a good choice. They don't make external ones, so I am going to get a housing with the fan in it to make it external. I have a couple questions (I'll get to the Maxtor in a sec)-

Is it advisable to get one of these dvd burners and then install it in a little housing with a fan that converts the way it is hooked up to the computer from all the internal hookups to firewire or usb?

If that is ok, then I come to the hard drive. I need like 250GB, every one I know has macs and uses Lacie. I know that windows users can use Lacie with some cd that comes with it to reformat it for PCs or something but I worry that could cause later problems. The other brand I hear bandied about is Maxtor. Is this a good brand? Will it work ok with my Dell laptop and the external dvd burner? Is this setup completely asinine to edit video from my Canon XL2 camcorder? Let me know if I am being stupid is you care to stop me from making all these lovely mistakes :)

-beth

2. axlman

axlman Regular member

My personal opinion about "maxtor" is: They Suck! I've heard nothing but crashing issues with maxtor drives! I had a Maxtor drive one time, 6 months later it died, first it started to sound real scratchy, then it was gone! I've never had a problem with Seagate or Westerndigital though! :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think we have a thread somewhere about people preferring different hds. me i prefer a maxtor over a western digital tho my current hd is a wd but has a 3yr warranty on it. is the new hd going to replace the old 1 or is it going to be external too.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I also agree with ddp. I have had problems with Western Digital and also IBM drives but never with Maxtor HDD's.

Choices:

1. Maxtor
    2. Western Digital

5. bethie

bethie Member

OK I will take those suggestions into consideration.

ddp - the new hd was just in addition to the laptop's memory so it would be external, as well. Just a place to store captured video. Hopefully that is ok with these Dell's. I figure I can hook the burner to the firewire and the hard drive to the USB. Or maybe the other way around...hmmm....any ideas on that would be cool, too, I guess! I know these are freshman questions, and I thank you all for taking time to help!

If anyone has any opinions about that whole taking an internal drive and putting a casing on it i will gladly listen, I am still not sure it's a great idea.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

bethie

It's easy to do and will give you extra storage. Just make sure that you set your HDD in the external case to "Master" by the jumper located on the back of the HDD. External cases today on Newegg.com run around $30 on sale including shipping. It will take you less then 30 minutes to set it up and be up and running. These cases can also handle any full size optical drives as well such as a DVD burner.

7. bethie

bethie Member

yup, that is what I will be housing in it, a dvd burner. I looked on newegg and they have one with a fan in it for 43 bucks, I think I might get that one, just for extra protection against overheating (I have been hearing about people having that problem lately). The storage I will buy in it's own external case, like the Maxtor's come in.

does anyone have any ideas concerning the layout for all this external stuff? I think firewire is faster than USB, right? So since I only have one firewire input and 2 USB's in the back of my laptop, would you put the dvd burner or the extra hard drive into the firewire? My inclination is to put the dvd burner, and leave the hard drive with the USB. But then I will have to unplug the burner to input my camera for capture...

OH - and one more thing I almost forgot! If I am only putting a dvd burner into the casing, do I still need to make it the "master"? and if I get a Maxtor type hard drive, do I have to change any settings (slave/master) on that before plugging it in?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  8. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Ive just made a maxtor external hard drive for my pc. Had a few problems, main one was XP not recognising it.

How to fix that is remove the jumpers.

9. ddp

got a 3.5" 80gig maxtor set up in a usb case as master that is was when the drive was in my case till upgraded to 160gig wd. had no problems with it & i'm running win98se.

bethie, if can put the hd on firewire & the burner on usb

10. bethie

bethie Member

Will do! thanks again!

11. ddp

no problem, teach & learn