1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Internet connection dropping each day?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BJSmegma, Nov 20, 2015.

1. BJSmegma

BJSmegma Member

Hi guys. I am out of options and wondered if you could advise, in case i'm missing something.

I am using my landlord's wifi (the router is on the ground floor, I live in a 2nd floor flat) and have no access to details or accounts etc to ring Virgin myself. At least it's free for me. The connection has always been weak acc to speedtests (a few mb) but only the last few days -always around teatime(?) the internet symbol has a yellow triangle with 'no internet connection' even though the wifi says it's connected to wifi?

I asked the landlord but he says he and his wife can connect ok? I have resorted to restarting the router each morning whilst off work, but clearly can't do this each evening after work? My mobile connects ok usually?

I have run malwarebytes and found nothing harmful? Is it my laptop playing up, or their connection?

Attached Files:

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wired or wireless? if wireless is it secured or unsecured?

3. BJSmegma

BJSmegma Member

Wireless, and I don't know- secured, I think?

4. ddp

did you have to type a password to get onto their wireless signal?

5. BJSmegma

BJSmegma Member

Yes, I found that on the router base

6. ddp

unless somebody hacked their password to use it during teatime then it is the internet provider is causing the problem. to confirm that, change the password into a harder one especially using the harder to crack "wpa2" standard not the easier to crack "wep" standard. if your teatime downloads are still slow after the change then it is the internet provider is causing the problem.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check on the web to find out who is connecting i can't remember if its through the modem/router or from the pc OS

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

why do people still think wpa2 is "harder" to crack than wep?.. wep takes an age whereas wpa2 just takes grabbing both sides of the connection handshake.. wep takes me a few hours catching packets.. wpa2 is within seconds when a device connects to an access point.. as long as I can "hear" both sides.. or can manage to "kick" a connected device ;)

As for this disconnecting at a certain time every day.. have you checked the routers DHCP Lease time.. they can expire and cause strange timed disconnects.. If it's always at the same time of day then that is something I would be aware of and would check, as is the "window" of ip's and max connections..