1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intervideo's DVD Copy 2 Platinum doesn't close the DVD-R session

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by dineshh, Oct 3, 2004.

1. dineshh

dineshh Member

This is my first post here and excuse me if I'm in the wrong forum.

My latest project that was compiled using Ulead DVD Workshop 2 and then shrunk using DVD Copy 2 was too big for Nero to burn (Nero has a limit of 4500M and this was very slightly over that limit 4506M).
    So, for the first time I used DVD Copy 2's burner function and created a DVD that left the session open. I tried closing it using Nero 6 but it gave me an error (Possibly for the above reason).
    I have been making backup DVDs before using DVD Decryptor, Intervideo's DVD Copy 2 Platinum and Nero 6.
    I also use Canopus advc100, Canopus procoder 2, Premiere 1.5 and Encore to make DVDs from Analog sources (convert VHS tapes to DVDs).
    This was the first attempt at compiling a DVD using Ulead Movie Factory 2.

How do I close the open session on the Disc (advise on any other tools I can use)?
    Can I overide the 4500 limit on Nero and Nero to burn instead of DVDCopy 2?

Thanking in advance for your help,

Dinesh H

2. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

The last time I saw this problem it had to do with media compatibility with a burner. However, I will asume you are using media that has worked for you in the past.

Software solution:

Use DVD Shrink to transcode your movie and Nero Burn as the target output device.

Alternately:

Use DVD Copy to transcode the movie, output the file to your hard drive and last use Nero as you used in the past.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi, dineshh,

The limit isn't on Nero, it's your disc which can only hold 4,36 GB of information -
    The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    Once again, a 4.7 DVD disc can only hold 4.38 GB of information. The "Slide-rule types" will tell you that you should write to the limit of 4.36GB to allow for overhead. I like to adjustment the "Target size" to around 4360MB. It's not much difference but it will provide you with a little extra wiggle room and insure that you don't write to the very physical edge of your disc. When setting the size to 4300MB you can actually see a tiny unburned ring on the outside of your next DVD backup. If you are stuck using "el Cheapo" media, this is one way to reduce your "coaster Percentage". The edge of the disc is the place where flaking sometimes occurs so that your movie might "stick" or "freeze" there.

Cheers,

Pete

4. dineshh

dineshh Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't Nero have a red line just before the 4500MB marker? Besides, the size of the DVD image is calculated by Intevideo DVDCopy 2 making it impossible to adjust the target size. The Image was written directly to the HD after shrinking and the software has no concept of the type of Media I'm burning it to when shrinking. I have been using this software for a while to Burn using Nero and I have never come accross this problem.
    What was interesting is that the Computer DVD player couldn't recognize/open the burnt image. However, my SONY desktop DVD player had no problem playing the DVD still with the open session.

Thanks for your reply,
    DH

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi dineshh,

Yes it does have that marker, again because of the ability of the disc to only hold so much.

The size can be adjusted quite easily by other proggys like Nero's recode 2 :)

Open recode 2, go to "remake a DVD" - and at the bottom right, where it says "Fit to Target", select "Custom" then type in 4360MB. Now use "Import titles" and your DVD will be compressed "automatically". No, you will not lose your menu functions or your titleset. Click "Next" to burn your DVD :)

Select your burning speed of you don't want it at it's default Max. - select the number of copies if you're burning more than 1 and if you want speed, "Un-tick" "Advanced analysis", me, I love my quality so I let it make 2 passes (this option isn't available when you're using Nero Express :(

Let me know how you make out -

Pete

My feeling is that you'll only do this when your DVD is quite large -