1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP ADDRESS READS 0.0.0.0

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DaOsT, Feb 11, 2004.

1. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

I was working on a mates pc yesterday as he cannot get to connect to the internet .....the ip is constantly 0.0.0.0 its impossible to get an ip assigned to the comp for some reason........I went to run and cmd .....ipconfig n always the same 0.0.0.0......he is running xp proffessional on a medion pc using a ethernet inc card......I let the tcp/other automatically be assigned.....firewall was disabled....the cable company ran Me thru various procedures for over an hour and everything at there end seems to be spot on.......I would replace the inc card but it is connected straight to the motherboard not a slot as Mine is and the pc is only a month old with a 3 yeart warranty so there ain't no way I am touching the inner workings of such a machine.....also when you right click upon the card in network connections and try to repair the connection it comes up with this warning......

Repair operation failed
    Renewing ip address
    Refreshing all dhcp leases + re registering dns names
    please contact your network admin or isp .......

kids are using the machine and have arranged 3 different users to be the admin so all have the same privilidges .......not saying that has anything to do with it but the more info I give the more you guys will have to work on

I tryed reinstalling the driver for the inc card 3 times also and nothing changed still the same message over n over

thanxs to any whom read or can help as usual

DaOsT

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

0.0.0.0 is a default route when DHCP isn't working
    A couple possibilities:
    The first would be a firewall preventing you from getting DHCP but you said it was disabled.
    The next thing I would look at is the DHCP Client service
    Go to the Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools. Under there should be a Services icon. Click on that and go down to DHCP Client and make sure it is started and that the Startup Type is automatic. You might need to reboot but you should just be able to do an ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /renew from a command prompt. I would also check the event log in case there is an error in there that would indicate why the DHCP service did not start.

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

thanxs Xian I will try that n keep ya informed