1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DVD burning supposed to be near impossible?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EMTJay, Jan 15, 2005.

1. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

I know...I should just succumb to this trial and error thing and get the DVD-RWs. I was just hoping that the solution would come quicker so I didn't want to do that, but now I see it is definately going to be worth the small expense. I'll get those tomorrow.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Iam able to use the shrink and decrypter properly althought im assuming that you could bypass decrypter if shrink works for you...... I think i dont have the right dvd burning software. any suggestions as to whether i should buy Nero or something else/freeware?

AudiRacer,

If you read the guide it tells you exactly how to use shrink and to burn with Decrypter automatically without ever even having to open it. From your post I don't think you are able to use shrink and decrypter properly. Start out from the beginning, forget what you have done in the past. Follow the guide using Shrink and Decrypter to burn and see if you can't make a backup.

You can also use Nero to burn, you must download and install the trial version of Ultra 6. Do all 3 install packs. It is good for the entire month. At the end of the month you must reinstall and it is good for the next entire month again. And so and so on until you decide to buy(which I highly recommend).

But to get you started, go ahead and burn with decrypter, follow the guide, and you'll have a perfect backup. Start out slow, don't do much editing, and then as you get the hang of it, you can do more involved backups with individual editing and compression in extras.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  3. AudiRacer

AudiRacer Member

I want to express my great gratitude for all the help i recieved on my problem! Everything is working A1 ok! Thanks a lot! :)

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi EMTJay,

Ok, so the problem is still there, and we have the latest Nero programs installed.

And you state that this only occurs when you use the 'Compression', though it's really not compression, to fit a DVD 9 movie to DVD 5 media.

Question, are you using DVD Shrink, or Nero Recode to do the compressing?

If you are using DVD Shrink, I would like to try a test. Use DVD Shrink to bypass the protection and write to the hard drive in a Video_TS folder, but do not 'compress'.

Then use Nero Recode to select the Video_TS folder and go from DVD 9 to DVD 5 and burn to your Hard Drive as a Video_TS folder again. (THis way you do not waste any media till you get the DVD+RW Or DVD-RW media)

If this works, play the video from the Video_TS folder on your Hard Drive to make sure it plays properly all the way through. If it's good, now use Nero Express's DVD-Video option to select the contents in the Video_TS folder on your Hard Drive and burn to DVD.

Does this 'work around' process work for you?

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

5. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Guys:

This has been a great thread to follow. I'm not involved with it, but it sure is interesting to see everyone come together (wasn't that a song?) and try to figure out what EMT's problem is. Super forum.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gee Whiz Jay,

You're really testing us . .

OK so I'll throw 2 guides into the stew,hoping it doesn't hurt BUT that it might help -

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

There's one for DVDD and Shrink - the other is for Shrink and Nero.

G' luck

7. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Wow - I am surprised at how hard it is to find DVD-RWs...I eventually just bought DVD+RW for this whole testing process. Unfortunately school has just started so I am trying to juggle a lot right now and I can't find the time to get back to my burning attempts just yet. So far I am at a point where I need to try Craig's "work-around" and I guess we'll see what happens from there...

8. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

I can recall attempting a similar procedure before I started this thread. I used DVDShrink to compress from DVD9 to DVD5 all on the hard drive. Then I tried to use Nero to burn the DVD5 sized files using Recode. At the time it gave me the same problems. So even though I haven't tried using Craig's exact technique yet I can assume it may give me the same problems.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I used DVDShrink to compress from DVD9 to DVD5 all on the hard drive. Then I tried to use Nero to burn the DVD5 sized files using Recode.

There was no need to use recode after you used shrink. They both do the same thing. As far as the burn you could have let shrink burn it with Nero automatically, or used Nero Express to burn the files from your hard drive or if you had used recode it would have burned it itself.

10. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

I now realize that shrink and recode essentially do the same function. I finally got those DVD+RWs and I am going attempt Craig's suggestion and give you guys a progress report.

11. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Guys I have to ditto tsquare43's comments. I haven't even started to burn yet but I'm glad I found this forum before I did. I found this forum while using online registration for DVDXCopy which I purchased before 321studios went out of business, and I have the latest upgrade to 4.0.8.3 Since I also have Nero 6 Ultra Edition I've been reading this thread all in one sitting. I've learned alot from all you guys, and will continue to read this thread with interest. I haven't made my first burn to DVD+RW yet but when I do I'll post my results. Thanks for all the information, Mike

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

tallguy53,

Hey Mike,welcome to aD,

As I told Jay in my last post, give those guides a try.

There are guides for DVDD, DVD Shrink and my latest guide for Nero's Recode2, Just check my sig

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  13. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

Pete, thanks for the welcome. You can bet that I'll be reading those guides you mention, as well as continuing to follow this thread. There's several threads involving Nero burning, but this one seems to have the "experts" online so I'll stick with the winners. Maybe at some point I'll even know a little something to contribute! Thanks again, Mike

14. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Let me start off by saying Hello and Welcome to Mike...from one newbie to another.

Anyway, I did what Craig suggested and it went flawlessly!! It would seem preliminarily like there is a problem when I first Decrypt/rip with DVDD then use Nero 6 to encode form DVD9 to DVD5. When I followed Craig's suggestion to rip with DVDShrink then use Nero Recode to encode/burn I had no problems. Of course this was only with 2 different DVDs. I have quite a few on my "to be backed up" list.

Admittedly I skipped the recoding from DVD9 to DVD5 to the hard drive and went straight to the DVD+RW. At this point I wanted to verify that it wasn't a media issue which was giving me problems before so I burned to a Ritek G05 DVD-R and again...flawless.

Am I ever going to get to a point where I can just use DVDD and Nero Recode?

15. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi EMTJay,

You should be able to get there. We just need to find where exactly the problem or problems lie.

Now that we know Nero Recode is working, we need to see if there is an issue with Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express.

And since you have DVD+RW media, we can be more adventurous in our testing. :)

Lets see if Nero and Shrink are working properly together.

Use the Guides provided by ScubaPete and BigOrange, and set up Shrink to call on Nero after a DVD has been RIPPed to your Hard drive.

You should not need to use Nero Recode for this process. I know this failed before, but I want to do this one more time just to make sure if it's still failing.

Regards

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

16. EMTJay

EMTJay Member

Hi Craig,
    Don't know that I have ever tried to have DVDShrink call up Nero. I'll have to try that technique and see what happens. I'll let you know!

Jay

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jay,

Again, see my sig for a good DVD Shrink - Nero guide and also a good Nero Recode2 guide for when you wish to edit your DVD and get the very best quality possible quality with complete working menus. Ya gotta love menus :p)

See my sig -

Pete

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Since I posted my shrink guide on page 2, I'll go ahead and post my Recode guide here. Between Pete's and mine you shouldn't have any questions.

I'm going to give you one of the easiest method of burning there is. If you have Nero Ultra 6, you are going to use Recode 2. All you need is an "on the fly" ripper like dvd43, anydvd, or dvd region free.

Any of these will run in the background and enable you to go into recode directly without using any other program. You install 1 of these, dvd43 is free(v1.4 and v. 3.0), anydvd and dvdregion free costs 39.00 but they have a 20-30 day free trial.

I would try anydvd, but the choice is up to you. AnyDvd is constantly being updated with new bypass encryption methods. DVD43 is not free if you use the standalone version(v2.0), so to get the free one you have to install patin couffin along with v1.4,with 3.0, it's already included. I would just use the 21 day anydvd trial.

Once installed there is nothing to do with these programs, they do their work without you ever knowing they are there.I promise you this will work. I'm going to give you step by step instructions. You can also rip with DVDDecrypter to your hard drive and then use those files, if you don't wish to use any of the aforementioned...

Also, as with any app make sure you get good media, this is extremely important! You can get Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or get Ritek Ridata 4x +R here, for under .50 each and w/ free shipping. Make sure they are "branded" and never burn at over 4x!

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

First off create a folder for your temporary files and put it where you can find it.

1-open Nero

2-open recode

3-click on recode entire dvd to dvd.

4-click on DVD-video files, then click on import dvd, when window pops up browse to your drive with the movie title, or your ripped files from Decrypter.

5- wait 1-2 min. for nero to analyze

6-you will now have a screen divided up into 3 categories, menu,main movie,extras,sometimes there might be a 4th called unreferenced material.

7-if you wish to edit/re-author, that is take anything out to reduce compression to improve pic quality, here is where you do it, click on extras, then click on the + mark. Leave menu and main movie alone,(I repeat, leave these 2 ALONE)

7a- The one exception to leaving the movie alone is if there are 2 versions, full and widescreen. I would then disable the one of your choice and leave the other one alone.

8-click on each title in extras and preview it with your slider in the preview window, you can then disable each one upon which nero will ask you to substitute a still image, say yes. Or you can raise compression on each title thereby lowering compression on the movie, if you want to keep that special feature. You can eliminate all extras by disabling them all at once and not hitting the + mark, same goes for compression, you can raise compression on all extras at once, thus raising quality of movie by lowering it's compression.

8a-when you are done click next, and choose a temporary destination folder for nero to work out of. (you should've already created this before you started)

9-check advanced analysis AND burn at once AND high quality mode,especially for large amounts of compression. I always use high quality mode for compression amts. of over 10%, the choice is up to you.

10-choose your burner as it's destination, then choose your write speed and no. of copies.

11-click burn and wait, depending on what quality settings you used. Have a drink or two, do NOT do anything else on your PC, I mean NOTHING!

12-please play your movie and enjoy.

This method is called on the fly, it goes directly from your dvd-rom drive to the disc you are burning on, it is the most simple means for burning you can get, recode does an excellent job, btw, and you're only opening one program.

If you like to rip to your HD first, then rip with DVDDecrypter in file mode and then choose (browse to) those files in Recode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  19. rodeh7

rodeh7 Member

OK so DVDXCopy is now useless. I can't backup The Forgotten or Resident Evil 2. I read all the posts and tried AnyDVD and DVDshrink. All are fine except that you need Nero to burn which apparently you have to pay for now. I guess they saw an opportunity to exploit users of DVDXCopy and pulled their demo copy. Is there any burn engine out there I can try first before kicking out the $ ?

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

If you'll look at the Shrink guide on page 2, it tells you exactly how to automatically burn with decrypter using shrink. You don't even have to open it. Decrypter is free.