1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It my Drive Or my Media?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Suntower, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Suntower

Suntower Member

Hi,

I have a digital audio workstation with a Lite-On DVD+-R drive. I guess it's ancient by current standards in that it writes at 2.4x.

I keep it because, despite what some have written here, the Lite-On works flawlessly for writing CD-Rs (audio of course.)

BUT... When I use it for doing file backups with Nero 6.15, I do seem to get a lot of 'coasters'. I -think- the media (Sony DVD+R) is OK because I use them regularly on another machine with another 16x drive and the videos pretty much always burn without errors that I can see.

So... How can I definitively tell if it's the drive or the media which are the problem. Can Nero do a drive test which is accurate or is there other 'drive check' software I should try?

THANKS!

---JC

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

newer media like 16x media dont work well with older drives simply because there are no write strategies for that kind of media. if your saying your drive burns at 2.4x max for dvd's then theres no way it will work with any brand of media rated at 16x, so an easy solution is to get a new burner(lite-on are only like around $30-$40 and they great for the price)

BTW, what the model number and firmware for your lite-on
    you can check here if there are any update
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=17
    i doubt it though

3. Suntower

Suntower Member

THANKS!

I didn't know newer media was problematic for older drives. Interesting!

The main reason I haven't upgraded is because my DAW software has it's own CD drivers and it's -very- finnicky about which CD/DVD burners it likes. I'll consider adding a 2nd drive then.

---JC

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yeah, like i said before the firmware you have in that drive now doesn't have a write strategy for the newer media and thats the problem, and rather then putting out new firmwares for the drives, manufacturers want you to go buy the newer drives, although it seems like LIte-On are very good at releasing newer firmwares, then other manufacturers are.